Author Topic: Anthem gets 6.5'd by IGN  (Read 2078 times)

Anthem gets 6.5'd by IGN
« on: February 21, 2019, 04:28:52 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx2bXPIYxcE

Damn son.

That's like saying a game is total doggy poo poo.

There's a lot of turds coming out these days ... Fallout 76, Crackdown 3, Jump Force, Anthem

Re: Anthem gets 6.5'd by IGN
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 04:58:32 pm »
6.5 is not a bad score. I'm not sure when a 6 became the new 3/10.

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 05:17:11 pm »

Just above a passing score for a major AAA release usually ends up looking much worse than some smaller game getting the same score.

pzeke

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 06:04:29 pm »
Never been one to follow reviews, so that score really means nothing to me. Mind you, I'm not particularly interested in the game, but were I to in the near future, I'll simply look up some gameplay footage and go from there.

After all, you know how the saying goes: you can't spell ignorant without IGN.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 03:11:01 pm by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 07:38:59 pm »
for a modern system in the modern day digital releases like Anthem (i assume it's digital). it may be just forgotten forever if not many buy it. This don't sound good, especially for the games developers I mean it may just be abandoned and forgotten forever because of IGN. at least it's available for now :-\

And yet it may be a good game after all

(an example for a poor review on a game)
I think Earthbound is an example for game that had a poor review back when it came out. and I always hear that Earthbound for the Super Nintendo is a vary expensive and loved video game now.

but fortunate for some Earthbound has a physical release and is loved by a lot of gamers I assume given it's high asking price
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 07:48:55 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 08:59:30 pm »
for a modern system in the modern day digital releases like Anthem (i assume it's digital). it may be just forgotten forever if not many buy it. This don't sound good, especially for the games developers I mean it may just be abandoned and forgotten forever because of IGN. at least it's available for now :-\

And yet it may be a good game after all

(an example for a poor review on a game)
I think Earthbound is an example for game that had a poor review back when it came out. and I always hear that Earthbound for the Super Nintendo is a vary expensive and loved video game now.

but fortunate for some Earthbound has a physical release and is loved by a lot of gamers I assume given it's high asking price

It's not just IGN, the metacritic average is under 70 right now and no one has seemed to have given it a positive score.  That might change abit once they officially "release" the game (It's still just in that early play on PC), but early looks are pretty bad right now.

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 09:37:03 pm »
I never take reviews at face value. To me a bad review could just as easily be because the makers of the game refused to pay them for the review.

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 01:41:38 am »
6.5 is not a bad score.
Yes, yes it is.

hexen

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 06:44:01 am »
In a logical sense 5/10 SHOULD be an average game, but that is not how game ratings work. Even if it is just BS, game scores work more like school grading where a 7.5 is average. This is because the bigger review sites like IGN are pretty big shills, and seeing 7.5 as average is kind of the way adapting to inflated AAA scores.

For a site like IGN to give a big AAA game a 6.5 basically shows they can't just ream it, because money flows from the creators, but can't get away with ignoring the general audience reception. That speaks incredibly poorly for Anthem. It's already kneecapped by the fact it is one of the awful live service games made to milk micro-transactions through MMO-like repetitive game-play. I've heard it described many times as a worse and more buggy Destiny, and Destiny is already a game I think is pretty bad. You can see this further on meta-critic with a vast majority of super fence-sitting 70 scores for critics, with larger negative reviews from users (who aren't incentivized to not give a scathing review) at 3.1.

This is basically Fallout 76 again, an unfinished profit-over-product mess, but with less public outcry for some reason. Remember when BioWare made top-of-the-line single player experiences? That sure was a long time ago, and they probably never will again if people keep buying stuff like this, so I'd recommend a hardpass. To be fair, if the game under-preforms EA will kill BioWare like they do with every other company they buy, but it's not the same BioWare it was so I don't even see that as a big deal.

RIP good single player RPGs... (from AAA, at least. Play Divinity: Original Sin 2, that game is mind-boggilingly amazing).

Can you tell I wanted to rant about this stupid game?
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 08:40:31 am »
6.5 is certainly below average for a $60 AAA game

kashell

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 08:55:27 am »
Anthem? More like...Blandthem! HEY-O!

I'm not proud of that.

mark1982

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 10:40:40 am »

I just hope Papa-EA doesn't do this before the next Dragon Age
  l    l 

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2019, 11:36:32 am »

I just hope Papa-EA doesn't do this before the next Dragon Age

LMAO!!! I'm stealing this lol.

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2019, 01:43:15 pm »

I do agree with you that I have played many of actual good games in the 6-7 range.  It's just with these blatantly incosident reviewers it's hard to tell what a 6 is.  Sometimes an 8 is awful, and sometimes a 5 is good. Many games get insulted by the likes of IGN who really are a partisan hack of an editorial that should never be taken seriously.