Author Topic: What is the most common item on vgcollect?  (Read 1766 times)

What is the most common item on vgcollect?
« on: February 22, 2019, 02:08:48 pm »
Was just wondering what the most common/popular item here was.

oxymoronclaws

Re: What is the most common item on vgcollect?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 02:15:24 pm »
This is a great question, but I think it might be tricky to quantify. As in, are we taking an aggregate of a game's collectors throughout all regions (NTSC, PAL, JAP, AUS etc.) or just one per region?

Either way, would love to get a definite answer on this one too  :)

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 02:32:30 pm »
Largest one I've seen was Super Mario World with ~2,600 users having it marked in their collection.

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 03:08:58 pm »
I just did a few searches- Zelda, Ocarina of Time, Link to the Past and Mario 64, Final Fantasy VII, Tetris (NES), Grand Theft Auto, and could find nothing higher than Super Mario World. 

kypherion

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 03:22:22 pm »
I just did a few searches- Zelda, Ocarina of Time, Link to the Past and Mario 64, Final Fantasy VII, Tetris (NES), Grand Theft Auto, and could find nothing higher than Super Mario World.
[/quote

I have OOT and Mario 64. Alttp is GBA for me :(. I have FF7 too!
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

kypherion

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 03:23:14 pm »
[/quote

I've got FF7, alttp on GBA, OOT and Mario 64
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

aliensstudios

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 04:39:36 pm »
The Super Mario World thing in itself is particularly odd, since I'm willing to bet not as many people own that version as say they do.

There are four different cartridge variants (only three are in our database)

There"s the oldest release, which came with the system when it launched:

To my knowledge, this version never released in its own box and is in the database: https://vgcollect.com/item/17329

The second release, which is the most common I've come across on eBay and in stores. It has the lock mechanism on the cart. It released in console bundles and separately in its own box:

Funny enough, this cartridge has no entry in our database at the moment.

The third releases, which is identical to the second except that it doesn't have the lock mechanism on the cart. It may have been released in console bundles, but was mostly released in its own box from late '94 onward.

This is the one that appears in the database as Super Mario World: https://vgcollect.com/item/6095 I'm very much doubting all 2600+ people have that cartridge.

The final release is probably the rarest since it's the Players Choice version, which didn't release until 1996 onward.

It is in the database: https://vgcollect.com/item/10681
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

kypherion

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 04:54:30 pm »
The Super Mario World thing in itself is particularly odd, since I'm willing to bet not as many people own that version as say they do.

There are four different cartridge variants (only three are in our database)

There"s the oldest release, which came with the system when it launched:

To my knowledge, this version never released in its own box and is in the database: https://vgcollect.com/item/17329

The second release, which is the most common I've come across on eBay and in stores. It has the lock mechanism on the cart. It released in console bundles and separately in its own box:

The third releases, which is identical to the second except that it doesn't have the lock mechanism on the cart. It may have been released in console bundles, but was mostly released in its own box from late '94 onward.

This is the one that appears in the database as Super Mario World: https://vgcollect.com/item/6095 I'm very much doubting all 2600+ people have that cartridge.

The final release is probably the rarest since it's the Players Choice version, which didn't release until 1996 onward.

It is in the database: https://vgcollect.com/item/10681

There's also the Super mario advance 2 cart, but that's gba...

kashell

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 05:03:24 pm »
Woah. I didn't realize that there were so many versions.

aliensstudios

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 05:16:43 pm »
There's also the Super mario advance 2 cart, but that's gba...
Ha, and on the GBA there is a normal release and a Player's Choice version but I don't think you can tell just by the cart.

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 05:55:54 pm »

Are you sure that some of these cartridge variants are not bootleg? The one in the photo does not contain any screws and I thought all Nintendo release cartridges had real screws, (holding them together) I am also aware that some found fake copies of Super Nintendo games have plastic holes with plastic screw look alike's.

this one looks more normal, but I could be mistaken ???
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 05:59:53 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

aliensstudios

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 06:13:10 pm »

Are you sure that some of these cartridge variants are not bootleg? The one in the photo does not contain any screws and I thought all Nintendo release cartridges had real screws, (holding them together) I am also aware that some found fake copies of Super Nintendo games have plastic holes with plastic screw look alike's.

this one looks more normal

100% positive. I own two of the variants (second and third) and have laid eyes on the original version at my Grandma's house many times. It doesn't contain screws because it's cropped off before the screws appear? Not sure what you're saying...

Either way, a bootlegged Super Mario World would be pretty obvious. Like these:

I don't know why you'd bootleg SMW since it's uber plentiful but I guess those Chinese ETSY sellers have to make money somehow.

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 08:54:34 pm »
I never looked at the cart that close.  :)
I got the console pack in version with Super Mario World all on one line.