Author Topic: Your Favorite And Least Favorite Video Game Themes  (Read 1164 times)

Your Favorite And Least Favorite Video Game Themes
« on: March 18, 2019, 10:22:06 am »
This could mean anything video game related, whether it be favorite Genre Themes, Level Themes, Character Themes
Puzzle Themes, Adult Themes, Child Themes, Different Mechanic Themes, Weapon Themes, Space or Science Fiction, Reality Themes, Horror Themes, and everything else theme related.

I like Science Fiction and Space Themes, I don't like Horror or Reality Themes especially the reality and horror themes that show realistic violence, but unrealistic blood and gore is fine with me if it looks fake I am more comfortable with that

I can't really think of another theme I like lately but most of the video games, I've played in my life are Science Fiction and other planet themes, and unrealistic war themes.

I ran search for posts and threads that included the word "Themes" and I found 86 post result but so far, I found no dedicated thread so if it's there is one, I was not aware
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 10:33:07 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Your Favorite And Least Favorite Video Game Themes
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 10:36:05 am »
I don't have any themes I hate, I like to play different types of video game because each of them offers an unique experience. However I do really like to play realistic (at least story wise) zombie games like The Last of Us, or the Walking Dead Telltales.

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 11:03:21 am »
What I meant about realistic themes I was referring to games so real they mimic a real person getting blasted, shot or stabbed what would happen to a person in real life. :(
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 11:05:00 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

kypherion

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 11:08:59 am »
Horror is a pretty awesome theme (DMC1, Resident Evil)
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 03:28:48 pm »
I oft enjoy weird fiction inspired games, horror, slice of life, romance, adult, puzzles, management games, and j-music games.

I usually avoid modern and recent history war games (i prefer the sword, archery, and magic varieties), games with realistic looking graphics(I prefer stylized), normal racing games, and stealth 'em ups. I also dislike first person perspective.

wolfen

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 04:36:28 pm »
I like most genres but I can never get into RTS games. My brain cannot handle that much shit going on around me. Also MMO's just feel very "empty" to me because most times it's all about grinding for hours and that is not fun.

Now for themes I can't stand.
Zombies; there has been this overwhelming flood of zombie survival/zombie themed games for the last 15 years and I fucking hate it. At least be creative with it like the Forest and its cannibals.

Steampunk isn't as annoying as the zombie theme but I'm still not thrilled whenever I see it.

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 05:10:45 pm »
I've always been a fan of Post-Apocalyptic themes, whether realistic, mutant, zombie, or futuristic, it's for some reason just been something I've liked.  I think a little bit of it was because I use to watch movies like the Omega Man, Escape from New York/LA, Mad Max: The Road Warrior, Dawn/Day of the Dead, and eventually others like 28 Days Later when I was younger, garnering an interest into it, which eventually lead me to love games like the STALKER series, the modern Fallout games, Dead Rising, and others.

I'd probably say a theme I don't like, is when stuff gets too realistic, but that's hard to...pin down...Like Last of Us is meant to be very realistic in its characters and storytelling, but the world is post-apocalyptic with parasitic zombies, so I'm more entertained.  Like I don't really enjoy realistic racing games, because I don't want to pretend I'm driving a real car, or in the Division series, it is post-apocalyptic, but all the enemies and weaponry are very normal, and doing that in a loot shooter setting is kinda boring (and I know things change a little in Division 2).  Then again I like Battlefield games, which I wouldn't exactly say are "realistic", but definitely sorta close and I casually like Escape from Tarkov.  It's hard to pin down lol
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 05:12:23 pm by kamikazekeeg »

stealthrush

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 09:32:56 pm »
Favorite: Science-Fiction theme, Fantasy, Robot theme, Psychic theme, Supernatural theme, Space Military, Linear-based, Post-apocalyptic, Skill-based, Timer/timed, Cyberpunk, Colorful theme, Experimental, Cute, Surrealist, Animated/animation, Steampunk, Whimsical, Cheerful, Musical/Rhythm, Meji-era themed.

Least-Favorite: Realistic, Horror, Zombie, Mafia, Espionage, Medieval, Modern City, Cinematic, Mission-based, Open-world sandbox, Collecting, First-Person perspective, Crude Humor, Adult themed, Sexual themed, Dungeon, Suicide/Death oriented, Demonic, Historical, Criminal/Theft themed, Traditional War.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 09:35:18 pm by stealthrush »

Warmsignal

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 10:56:22 pm »
The whole post-apocalyptic theme has gotten old. It was cool for a while, but now that like every single new game uses that theme, it's boring. Zombies is another I dislike and it is a theme that has gone on for way, way too long in prevalence.

Themes I like? Anything with a hand-drawn or cell shaded art style, arcade, light-hearted, sense of humor, "retro" style games.

ferraroso

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 11:38:01 pm »
As a genre, be it in video games, tabletop RPGs movies or novels, I'm usually very interested in parallel universes/alternate history stuff.
I think maybe that's one of the reasons that turned Metal Gear (R.I.P.) and Ace Combat into my two favorite game series.

Other good examples are the Wolfenstein, Resistance, Crimson Skies and Sakura Wars franchises.

In time, The Order: 1886 had the graphics and setting to be a masterpiece of this genre (or sub-genre) but ended up being boring as fu**...