Author Topic: Question about listing when finding differences  (Read 2271 times)

Question about listing when finding differences
« on: March 20, 2019, 04:48:07 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm a new vgcollect user and I need some help.

I started inserting games in my collection as soon as the confirmation link redirected me on the site, but I noticed that several of the (few) EU games I inserted differs for some details (serial number or barcode i.e.), so I stopped and came here.

Do I have to submit a new item in this event?

I think that's because the EU market is very inhomogeneous (thank you google translate) and it happens that we have several differences in the same game (like the barcode i.e.).

I don't want to bother the admins with useless or inaccurate corrections to the listed games when I have a different copy, I mean instead of helping with submitting a different one.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions/views on the subject.

Agozer

Re: Question about listing when finding differences
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 05:48:22 pm »
If you can't find an entry with the same details as your copy, submit a new item. Also, take a gander at the Style Guide.

Can you give an example?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 05:50:42 pm by Agozer »

tripredacus

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 10:14:41 am »
Each item in a game category should be for a specific physical thing. We do not use any catch-all items. So this means that for EU we would want to have every version released in whichever country as a separate item. It can get quite complicated for that, so if you have any questions about specific items you have (what they are, what to call them, if they are the same as an existing entry, etc) you can post into here.

Note that you may come across entries we call "Franken-entries" where they have mismatched pictures, information or barcode. If you happen to find any entries like this, you can post about them in the pinned Listing Errors thread and we can try to fix them up.

Agozer

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 12:51:15 pm »
I just noticed that the Destruction Derby 2 you added already exists in the database: https://vgcollect.com/item/142459. Same with Dino Crisis: https://vgcollect.com/item/15225
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 12:58:16 pm by Agozer »

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 02:18:47 pm »
Dino Crisis has a different serial number, I added SLES-02210, the one you linked has SLES-02207

As for DD2, how have I missed it in the dropdown box? Sorry for that, I'll pay more attention in the future.

Agozer

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 05:54:19 pm »
Actually https://vgcollect.com/item/15225 has the wrong barcode. Two games can't have the same barcode. The barcode in your entry is correct for the Italian version, but you should edit the Name to match the Style Guide, i.e. "Dino Crisis [IT]".

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 03:39:40 am »
I just submitted the [IT] edit in the name as you suggested, thanks for the help.  :)

I'm willing to become confident soon enough with how the things work here around, I have a HUGE catalogue and it will require me a long time to create my collection page (I have around 2000 titles plus accessories, consoles and collectors' editions with soundtracks, figures and all that stuff).

I definitely don't want to add duplicates entries or franken-entries, I will improve my contributions going on :) or, at least, I'll do my best to not screw things up :)

tripredacus

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 10:01:11 am »
Those games you have put should not have the item number or EAN descriptors. All edits where you left those, and added [IT] have been rejected. Replace the descriptors with the TLD instead and try again.

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 03:18:22 pm »
Replace the descriptors with the TLD instead and try again.

Will do it asap

tripredacus

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 11:11:25 am »
In regards to the IT games you've added. Some of them have been changed to [ES][IT].

A note to be understood, that is if this game is released in Spain, it is [ES][IT]. If the same game is also released in Italy, and has an SIAE label on it, it is only [IT], and the other one without the label is only [ES]. As SAIE is the label only found on Italian games. So far all of the items that had edits to change [IT] to [ES][IT] have not has the SIAE label on the front or back art, so they have been approved.

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2019, 08:43:54 am »
...If the same game is also released in Italy, and has an SIAE label on it, it is only [IT], and the other one without the label is only [ES].

I apologise in advance for my "engRish".

The problem lies in the SIAE label being applied, sometimes, on the external sealing of the game, it seems completely at random.
So I have games with the SIAE's sticker aon the case, and games without it; games where I personally detached the sticker and re-applied it once I removed the plastic sealing.
So, I think, it isn't solid enough to be considered for judgement of correct submission; in theory it is, but actually it isn't; it's just my opinion and I can't suggest a better way, so take it for what it is, just a point of view.

Where can we verify if there are multliple editions of a game for the same country?
I ask because I stumbled across a multi 4 entry of a game (with IT among them, back cover in 4 languages) but I own a copy with only italian on the back cover and I'm confident that it is the only edition actually sold in italy, in terms of base game standard edition (I went with submitting an IT version anyway).

tripredacus

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 09:38:20 am »
Yes it is difficult to take into account any sort of label on the outside of a plastic seal, but we strive to have this correct information. Even to that point that we would prefer an image of something sealed, if in sealed form there is some label that would otherwise not be seen or known on a loose or secondhand copy. And in an case like this, it would be put into Description field that there is a label on the outside.

See this entry for example:
https://vgcollect.com/item/9622

As for the EU game with Italy flag and/or Italian language, but not the SIAE label (sealed or otherwise) I have a suspicion that these games were not actually sold in Italy. However, not being from Europe, I often would defer such determinations to people who live in those countries. Only from my own research, I know that the SIAE label should be on the outside of all media or products containing media sold in Italy.
This means:
1. Games that are pack-in items with accessories or consoles can be legitimate Italy releases despite having no label, as the required label would have been present on the outer packaging.
2. Games with Italian text/flag on them may have been intended for sale in European countries where Italian is a spoken language but is not covered by the SIAE requirement.

I have a good feedling that #2 is correct, but I do not know enough about where those types of places may be. I know that this is why there are French games without the Attention box, as there are other countries that speak French but are not in France and thus are not required to put that Attention box onto retail packaging.

For verification purposes, I typically will look at the regional Ebay. For Italy's case, it would be ebay.it using current and sold listings (completed listings is often a waste of time). If there was a thing that I knew to exist in a certain country, but not able to be found on Ebay, then I would investigate other online sale/auction/classified sites for that country. Currently I do not know any for Italy. But usually Ebay is good enough to figure things out without having to visit many other websites.

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 09:48:26 am »
I have a good feedling that #2 is correct, but I do not know enough about where those types of places may be.

Switzerland. :)