Author Topic: What Does Everyone Think of the Nintendo Switch Lite?  (Read 5801 times)

aliensstudios

What Does Everyone Think of the Nintendo Switch Lite?
« on: July 13, 2019, 12:24:01 am »

Apparently Nintendo is releasing a Nintendo Switch Lite later this year. They announced it a few days ago and I had no idea. It's handheld only and doesn't feature removable joy con controllers. The battery life is apparently slightly better than the original Switch model. I guess Nintendo's going all-in on the Switch completely replacing the Wii U and 3DS since now they're going to have a home console (which is also portable?) and a portable handheld-only console.

Here's a trailer for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCUon1SgKi8

It's odd because in the trailer it comes across as if he's advertising the features it doesn't have versus the features it does have. Also, the USB C port is still on the bottom of the unit (which is pretty ridiculous for a handheld only system)

I kind of understand why Nintendo would do this. It's cheaper plus it'll probably help widen the appeal of Pokemon when it comes out.

Is anybody getting one of these or are you happy with the original model?

As somebody who's used his Switch exclusively as a home console I honestly can't see the appeal of it, but I bet some people will like it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 12:30:29 am by aliensstudios »
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

Re: What Does Everyone Think of the Nintendo Switch Lite?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 12:38:23 am »
It's not a particularly good deal at all, but the idea of a smaller device built for pure portability makes a lot of sense.  I know the gimmick is that it "Switches" and this takes away the very name of it, but I hear about people saying they use portable all the time anyways, so something like this does have an appeal.  I would never buy it, but some definitely will.

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 12:45:58 am »
I'm looking forward to the reaction once everyone realizes they didn't fix the horrible drifting with the analog sticks and it'll be even harder (or perhaps not even possible) to fix them.

mark1982

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 12:46:31 am »
I think it's great to have options. Nintendo definitely know what they are doing to widen their player base with a cheaper model and Pokemon coming out. Parents will definitely choose this over the base version because of the price point :P

They even have the Pokemon Sword and Shield versions for young kids get on board that Switch train.

It's definitely not for me since I enjoy the larger screen, removable joycons and docking on the base model, so I probably won't get one, unless it's super cheap as an alternative to carry around outside (which rarely happens btw, only when I go on holiday to visit my inlaws).

Personally I'm not a fan of the white buttons and color combo, but knowing Nintendo plenty more colors are gonna come. Kinda knew it was going to be announce based off the rumors circling around, and well, there it is...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 02:25:27 am by mark1982 »
  l    l 

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 05:39:00 am »
looks a little uncomfortable to hold in my hand. I can see myself dropping it, if my family buys me one though I'll take care of it, but I don't think I'm interested, my hands probably would be too big to operate the tiny joysticks and tiny d-pad

I assume it is going to be the size of a DS?

sorry if I sound negative, I'll be honest I am don't like a lot of modern things

« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 05:48:18 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 05:44:57 am »
I think it could sell very well it is lighter, weight and being easy to use are big factors for portable consoles. The switch is kinda heavy for a portable console even heavier than the 3ds xl wich already is kinda heavy for a handheld. Some people never use the switch on their tv handheld mode only so switch light seems like a great strategy on paper.

They could also improve the controls for this handheld only device. I rarely use the joy cons over a gamecube stick or switch pro controller since they suck so hard. I'd take a wii controller over especially lose joy cons any day of the week. it's less worse when attached but not a huge fan of handheld mode on the switch.

the new switch light will have the same weight as a normal size 3ds + 10 grams. less heavy than the 3ds xl 329 grams and way less heavy than the switch at a whopping 400 grams

I mean 398 grams to only 275 grams will be a huge difference in handheld mode way more easy to use. also a bit smaller wich for a ton of people who use handheld mode exclusively is a huge plus. In the past bigger things where the way to go these days smaller is better.

considering that a main pokemon game comes to the switch i think that title alone will sell many switch lite consoles. 400 grams for a handheld console is kinda heavy. Switch light could sell like hot cakes.

from what I've read price of the switch light is 100$ less than a regular switch

looks a little uncomfortable to hold in my hand. I can see myself dropping it, if my family buys me one though I'll take care of it, but I don't think I'm interested, my hands probably would be too big to operate the tiny joysticks and tiny d-pad

I assume it is going to be the size of a DS?

sorry if I sound negative, I'll be honest I am don't like a lot of modern things

I don't know if you have ever held the regular switch in handheld mode. while it does look kinda uncomfortable it works better than you would expect. the switch light is a bit bigger than a 3ds xl but lighter so in handheld mode it will most likely be more comfotable than the original switch.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 10:45:02 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 08:42:21 am »
My take is a resounding 'meh'. While I'd figured the mini wouldn't have proper joycons, I did think it would at least be dockable (for those willing to buy a second controllers to do so). I do the switching part of a my switch fairly often, so this doesn't suit my needs- although I see the appeal for people who don't play docked or who want a cheaper alternative for younger kids.

Mostly, I'm a bit irked about the colors. I've been waiting since launch for joycons I like, and THIS thing gets the good colors? Not fair! I want colored button joycons!

shfan

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 09:43:28 am »
It's the opposite of what I was hoping for - a cut-down model just designed to be plugged into the teevee without the portability. Still, perhaps down the line I'll get one of these if they go cheap.

Flashback2012

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 09:56:34 am »
I know as soon as they release one with a Zelda-themed design for either Link's Awakening or BoTW2, I'm going to cave and pick one up.

EVERY.DAMN.TIME they introduce Zelda-themed hardware I go full into Fry "Shut Up and Take My Money!" mode.  :P

The introductory colors don't really do anything for me but if HAD to buy one it'd be Grey,Turquoise and then Yellow.

A carrying case is going to be a must-buy as well as screen protectors. I imagine I'll be more open to buying Switch releases if I had the Lite. The lion's share of my collection is for portable systems anyway.  ;)

sworddude

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 11:09:33 am »
I mean the switch light does have an D pad a thing that many have complained about since it has been absent from the normal switch with a crappy non d pad.

more of a console guy myself but i can imagine it being better than the joy cons on switch. not to mention you could still use seperate joy cons if you really wanted to.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

kashell

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 10:42:36 am »
Wait, if it's handheld only, then how is one able to "switch" views with it?

It looks cute, but I'm passing on it. I use my vanilla Switch in both TV and portable mode enough already.

telly

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 11:49:37 am »
I think part of the draw for the Switch for me is being able to olay on or off the TV as you would like
Currently Playing:
Final Fantasy VI (SNESc), The Last Guardian (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

wolfen

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2019, 11:54:57 am »
I feel like a lot of people really miss the point of consoles like this(not you guys) and the 2ds. They're meant to be bare bones, entry level options so people who don't have lots of money to spend on gaming can at least get their foot in the door and work their way towards the real thing or for those who can't commit the time to sitting down for a few hours of gaming on their tv. When my family didn't have money to spend on extras like videogames, these entry level options were great for me because they allowed me to get my foot in the door for an affordable price.

All that said, I won't be getting one because I already have a Switch but I'm happy for those who will be able to afford one now.

ferraroso

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2019, 10:04:00 am »
As a lifelong Nintendo hater myself, I see it as one of the most worthless pieces of hardware one could purchase.

With the money someone would spend on a Switch Lite plus a set of Joy Cons, he or she could be buying a brand new Switch "Fat" with larger screen, detachable controllers and TV connectivity...
So, for me, buying a smaller version of the Switch (which is already a portable console in itself), that lacks Joy Cons and the ability to be connected to a TV seems to be a terrible waste of money (and this comes from someone who pre-ordered the PlayStation Classic).

But since it is Nintendo, OF COURSE PEOPLE WILL BUY IT.

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2019, 12:05:43 pm »
Unfortunately the Switch Lite is pretty much the opposite of what I was hoping for in an update to the Switch. I wanted something more powerful, maybe even if a larger screen that still retained it's ability to dock with your TV. As much as I love the Switch's portability I probably play it 70% of the time docked to my TV, so not having that ability at all is a huge deal breaker for me.