Author Topic: Do You Buy Or Keep Cartridge Games With Torn Stickers But Still Play Fine?  (Read 16251 times)

I don't mind having a few sloppy looking games among my games. as long as I know what game it is I don't really care.

But if it does not work then I get upset. all three of these games. even the gift without the stickers worked ok.

I've purchased at least 2 cartridges with sticker damages before, but the cartridge plays fine. 2 of them had their cover sticker ripped clean off one game was a copy of "Zelda Ocarina Of Time" and the other one was given to me for free by a shop owner "Cruzin USA" for the N64 console

Both of these games are for the Nintendo 64 console.
I also got a cheaper copy Knife Edge Nose Gunner for the N64 as well with a severely damaged sticker

Not angry but severely curious about the following question

I still don't know why the stickers were damaged to begin with, my Zelda game for the N64 has a pink sticky note attached. Can anyone explain why some stickers get so damaged to begin with?
Do you think some child or teen or adult got mad and scratched the sticker off, does anyone know how this even happens ???
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

I picked up a copy of Final Fantasy II(US) for dirt cheap because the label had been ripped almost off. I already had one in better condition, so I customized the label-less one.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 01:44:42 pm by snyderec3 »

sworddude

I still don't know why the stickers were damaged to begin with, my Zelda game for the N64 has a pink sticky note attached. Can anyone explain why some stickers get so damaged to begin with?
Do you think some child or teen or adult got mad and scratched the sticker off, does anyone know how this even happens ???

It can't be to hard to imagine how labels get that damaged right it's just some paper after all ::)

heavily used while touching the lable everyday. used by especially little kids cleaned by mom need I say more  :o

have you ever tried to clean a cardridge lable. or obviously gaming with snacks food. Not all people are clean when it comes to personal life. same goes for little kids pre 8 years they love to destroy stuff. obviously games had to be kid proof but the lable does not matter, if it works it works all that mattered.

I mean cmon even the official nintendo training video for employees from back in the day showed nasty brown sauce nes consoles. it's super common that some people are extremely nasty and that especially little kids abuse their stuff. just imagine what would happen with fragile lables. a console is durable paper is not durable.

https://youtu.be/WYjgHLFZMa0?t=37

« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 02:04:18 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

Until I find a better copy I keep the torn copy

Until I find a better copy I keep the torn copy

This

It can't be that hard to understand, most people who aren't gamers don't always take the best care of things. Atari games with damaged sticker are common. I wasn't necessarily a "child or teen or adult" who got made and ripped them, heck, in some environments the adhesive can deteriorate over time, and the labels just fall off when touched. If it bugs ya, try finding a better copy. You also don't want bugs chewing on your labels.

megasilverx1

I don't usually mind the condition of the sticker as long as the game works and the end label (if it's a cartridge that has one) is still somewhat readable. If I'm at a used game store and they have multiple copies of a game I'm interested in, I'll go with the one with the nicest sticker mind.

I typically don't buy games with torn labels- worn ones, sure, if the price is right & the game isn't easy to find. I do have some torn labels from earlier in my collecting days, and I don't feel particularly compelled to replace them. It's the kind of thing that I'd prefer to avoid, but not so bothered by that I won't keep a game I already have that's messed up.

As for the why, there's a lot of reasons- the biggest one being little kids are unpredictable weirdoes. I once pulled French fries out of a PS2 placed there by a two year old, it's not so hard to think they'd mess with a sticker too. The same family also had a six-year old who'd ripped apart a PS2 case by mistake, becuase he'd never opened a DVD case before & he thought the clear plastic that held the art in place was an additional layer of cellophane to remove. I could see a kid making the same mistake with a cartridge, thinking the sticker is hiding the 'game'. Plus, you can never underestimate the power of people to completely mistreat their stuff. It's quite impressive sometimes!

mark1982

Avoid it like the plague, I can't stand torn labels, stickers, or writing on games.

It's quite common to find NES cartridges with names written on them, worse when the name is written on the label. If I can still salvage it by using rubbing alcohol to remove the gunk from stickers or permanent marker I don't mind, but completely torn labels, torn cover art or damaged labels with permanent marker - nah not for me.
  l    l 

shadowzero

PRO Supporter

I dont like it.  Nope not one bit.  I make alot of concessions for my collection.  For example when it comes to NES & SNES I collect loose cart.  So I have nothing to look at except that label.  Out of 150+ SNES and NES I have two with badly beat labels and thats it. 

kashell

sworddude

if it comes with an excellent condition box especially with cardboard releases I'll keep em around. carts are super easy to replace compared to packaging
Your Stylish Sword Master!

I'll usually skip them in favor of waiting to find another one in better condition, unless it's a really good price for a game I'm desperate to play.