Author Topic: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)  (Read 59592 times)

Hello everyone :)

I know I made a stranger things thread recently and I got hooked on another show and I didn't want to make any more of these Do you like this Tv show threads.  So I decided to make a megatread for all the shows.  Their are 2 other megathreads for Music and Movies.  So I thought TV and Netflix would be fitting too :).  Whenever you start a new show you like you can share it here.   :D

Right now I am so hooked on Orange is the New Black.

I know it is what is considered a "chick flick".  But I love this show so much lol. 

It started by just watching it because I liked Piper Chapman (I think she's nice) but now I like all of the characters.  Or many of them anyway.  I hate a few. 

Please try not to spoil too much because i'm early on.  As will be a universal rule of the thread. But I will say that Red is amazing and powerful.  And I like Pennsatucky even though she's crazy.  But she's pretty cool once the plot unravels.

So much drama interlaced in one season.  Let alone 7.  :D   I can't believe how much is ahead of me.

Anyone else love this show?   :) 

Thank you for sharing any of your favorite shows past, present or future.

Re: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 09:33:13 pm »
Ordered best to worst out of what I am currently watching/waiting for next season to come out.
1. Peaky Blinders
2. Babylon Berlin
3. Last Kingdom
4. F is for Family
5. Castlevania
6. Black Mirror
7. Stranger Things
8. Agretsuko
9. Ozark
10. Frontier
11. The Rain
12. Disenchantment

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 10:19:20 pm »
I watched Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus earlier and it was excellent!

I also recently watched Rocko's Modern Life: Static Cling which wasn't as good but fine.

As for actual shows on Netflix I don't really watch much. I watched the first couple seasons of The Ranch but don't care for it anymore.

Mostly looking forward to the return of Eddie Murphy with Dolemite Is My Name on Netflix.

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 08:10:58 am »

I know it is what is considered a "chick flick".  But I love this show so much lol. 

It started by just watching it because I liked Piper Chapman (I think she's nice) but now I like all of the characters.  Or many of them anyway.  I hate a few. 

[...]

I hate the use of "chick flick" as a derogatory.  If something is good, it's good!  Regardless if it is made for kids, adults, men, women, etc...

That said, in the early seasons of Orange is the New Black there was nothing quite like it, or quite as good on TV.  It was phenomenal.  Like most shows it does have its ups and downs, but I feel like it managed to finish strong.  There are some characters that remain kind of bland and boring, and some that do shift and change over time.  Not a spoiler, because its personal opinion, but I hated Piper by the end, but that mostly came from a place that was because almost all of the other characters (except 1 or 2) were far more interesting.

I just finished watching the second season of Mindhunter.  While its still an exceptionally well made show, there is a turn halfway through the season that feels like it changes the what the entire show is about.  The focus and priorities shift, and while I know it is generally a true story and this did happen, the previous focus of the show is what I was far more interested in.

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 08:41:51 am »
I used to have netflix but got rid of it because they took off a whole series movies I wanted to watch, and I got pissed because I wanted to watch them and they were gone earlier this year. The JAWS movie series. Other than that I was turned away by the selection. but a lot of series and shows and even movies offend me for religious reasons.

And I'm not much of a movie watcher this is the main reason why
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 08:49:01 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

mastodon

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 05:32:42 am »
Currently watching Godzilla movies for the first time.

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 06:48:44 am »
Currently watching Godzilla movies for the first time.

This is the TV thread, you can find the movie thread here: https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,2205.0.html

I finally got to see the first season of What We Do in the Shadows since it showed up on Hulu.  It's based on the 2014 film of the same name (my favorite film of that year), which was written and directed by Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok).  The show is *almost* as good as the movie.  It's a little looser and a bit more broad, but I still watched it all in one sitting.

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 04:30:55 pm »

[...]

I hate the use of "chick flick" as a derogatory.  If something is good, it's good!  Regardless if it is made for kids, adults, men, women, etc...

That said, in the early seasons of Orange is the New Black there was nothing quite like it, or quite as good on TV.  It was phenomenal.  Like most shows it does have its ups and downs, but I feel like it managed to finish strong.  There are some characters that remain kind of bland and boring, and some that do shift and change over time.  Not a spoiler, because its personal opinion, but I hated Piper by the end, but that mostly came from a place that was because almost all of the other characters (except 1 or 2) were far more interesting.

I just finished watching the second season of Mindhunter.  While its still an exceptionally well made show, there is a turn halfway through the season that feels like it changes the what the entire show is about.  The focus and priorities shift, and while I know it is generally a true story and this did happen, the previous focus of the show is what I was far more interested in.

I agree :).  I'm still pretty late to the party which is awesome because I get to binge it all in one go.  It's always funner that way imo instead of waiting months for the next season. 

I agree that even early on, Piper has already started to wear off in terms of complexity and her plot is getting a tad more bland.  I assume she'll pick up again in terms of depth because she's a main focal point but red seems to be taking over.

So far my top 10 favorite characters are

1. Piper (for now she's still my favorite.  It might be mostly because she's relatable personality wise but I also loved her plot line regarding Larry.  The other inmates are very hardened.  I'd definitely sit at the Yoga Lady and Pipers table lol)
2. Pennsatucky (Pennsatucky really is the most fun side character to watch. And she's very underrated. Her plot is great and she's funny.)
3. Poussey  (Poussey has a lot of depth and is my favorite of their group. She has loyalty. )
4. Fisher  (I love Fisher, I'm far enough to know key plot point regarding her but I won't spoil it.  But she is great)
5. Spanish Leader  (I forget her name, but she's smart and strong.)
6. Mr. Healey  (The only cop guy that I like, He has a good heart but personal problems make him mean at times)
7.  The New York Stalker girl. 
8. The Blonde Heroine girl  (Forget her name too but she's cool)
9. Red  - (Red is a focal point character and she adds a tough element to the show.  But I didn't like her early on)
10.  The Transgender girl  (I forget her name but her plot regarding her son is pretty interesting.  And shes cool)

I hate soso.  Literally loathe her.  I hate people that are like her in real life.  I loathe most of the Diaz Family for their actions.  And I hate Alex Vause with every viber of my being and hope she gets beat with a lock sock soon.  :)

It really is a great show.  I love it and purchased the funko pops of the characters. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 04:42:14 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 10:52:46 pm »
I'm currently re-watching Family Matters on Hulu starting from Season 1.

I haven't seen this show since the 90s and it brings back a lot of nostalgia for me.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 09:35:46 pm »
Currently watching the Orville and How I Met Your Mother on hulu and Mindhunter and Defenders on netflix enjoying these so far. Still waiting for second season of Umbrella Academy really looking foward to this.

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 11:32:53 pm »
I finished season 6 of Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD.  Easily the weakest season since the first.  I still generally enjoy the characters, but the endgame this season wasn’t particularly interesting.

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2019, 01:54:17 am »
Binged through Glow Season 3 yesterday and overall I thought it was alright.  I felt like the wrestling part took a backseat to all the other story stuff going on, more than usual, which I think is by design.  Setting it in Vegas as a nightly show that doesn't really change much, so you can't show tons of the same things happening, meaning more time spent on all the relationship drama and other things.  The different story lines going on are generally good, though feel a tad drawn out at times and found myself kinda skipping through some bits as I basically got the gist of it pretty quick.  Some of the storylines didn't get a very good resolution though, they just felt skimmed over, which kinda sucks, but I think we'll see more come of it with the next season.

The show ended in a pretty good spot though, so I think Season 4 could be pretty great.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2019, 01:23:12 pm »
Y’all need to check out The Boys on Amazon Prime. It was pretty sick.

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 05:50:35 am »
Y’all need to check out The Boys on Amazon Prime. It was pretty sick.

I saw it when it launched and it's pretty good.  Not quite as crazy as I thought it was gonna be, but still worked pretty well.

Also began watching The Wire.  One of those shows I've heard about for years as top tier television.  Now it's kind of an interesting time capsule...Set after 9/11, during a time where computers weren't completely widespread, pagers existed, not everyone has a cellphone.  That right there makes this an interesting watch for me.  The show itself? Alright so far lol Still early, so waiting for it to really take off.

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2019, 05:13:32 pm »
The Wire never really “takes off”.  It’s a slow build that is constantly adding new layers and complications while simultaneously exploring both sides of the law.  It’s engaging and intriguing, but it’s also a realistic look into that kind of life, so don’t expect set pieces or anything like that.

I just watched I Think You Should Leave on Netflix.  It’s a an utterly bizarre and surreal sketch show that is also incredibly funny.