Author Topic: Name Some Currently Expensive Yet Common Retro Video Games  (Read 5292 times)

Name Some Currently Expensive Yet Common Retro Video Games
« on: September 16, 2019, 02:59:21 pm »
I am just curious to hear from all of you collectors what games that you have seen or found both common and over $20 USD online or offline. I am not planing on selling anything but I thought I'd ask anyway.

personally In the past I found a lot of retro RPG games generally to cost more then other genres. Sports I know for a fact that they have always been the cheapest in the wild and online both. I saw how expensive it is to buy a lot of super Nintendo games were last time I went looking for SNES games.

I am talking about games like Zelda series, almost everything Mario related, I've seen 007 Goldeneye for the N64 going over $20 USD as well

my list:
Legend Of Zelda Series
Anything Mario Related
Final Fantasy Series any for the PlayStation 1
Donkey Kong series any that I saw for sale
Banjo Kazooie/toowie
Spiro Series on PlayStation 1
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Name Some Currently Expensive Yet Common Retro Video Games
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 03:04:44 pm »
Most Mario Party games.

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 03:48:56 pm »
I’d say (almost) any game that was popular and is over 15 years old should never be expected to be under $15 at the lowest - regardless of rarity.  There’s a cost associated with quality.  If a game was good people will pay for it.  Your only exceptions are the uber-popular ever-present titles like Super Mario Bros. where the sheer quantity keeps cost down.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 03:50:45 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 05:42:50 pm »
I’d say (almost) any game that was popular and is over 15 years old should never be expected to be under $15 at the lowest - regardless of rarity.  There’s a cost associated with quality.  If a game was good people will pay for it.  Your only exceptions are the uber-popular ever-present titles like Super Mario Bros. where the sheer quantity keeps cost down.

I just buy what is currently at a low price first, and then see about getting an expensive or popular game. afterward my collection may be large but does not have a lot of popular or expensive titles that are originals. I don't want to pay for a game that I probably won't like. when something else like it is available for less. If I get robbed or my house is set fire it won't hurt as bad if the games I had did not cost as much

A lot of games that are popular like mario were never a favorite of mine.

The platforms I grew up on for PC I don't think anyone has heard of. Has anyone ever played

Skunny: Save Our Pizzas! for PC/MSDOS?

or
Jill Of The Jungle for PC/MSDOS
or
Duke Nukum origional episode 1,2 &,3 PC/MSDOS
or
Duke Nukem II for PC/MSDOS
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 05:56:34 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 09:22:04 pm »
A lot of older first party Nintendo games on the N64 and Gamecube.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 09:42:47 pm »
Earthbound for snes is very expensive but also common it's always has alot of sellers on ebay yet almost never drops in price.

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 01:08:21 am »
Earthbound for snes is very expensive but also common it's always has alot of sellers on ebay yet almost never drops in price.

I feel like it skates that edge between common and uncommon. It makes me cringe whenever someone claims it's a rare game, not even close.

sworddude

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 04:52:04 am »

I feel like it skates that edge between common and uncommon. It makes me cringe whenever someone claims it's a rare game, not even close.

how can something that's a maximum of only uncommon be that high in price?

If that would be the case wouldn't it have the same price range as say secret of mana 30 ish $ for a lose cart let alone the insane prices of a cib copy. should be way lower. we all know that sought after games that have enough copies either have some decent value value or low affordable value but not insane value such as earthbound that doesnt make any sense.

seems to me like high value items end up on the market allot more often since people need money resellers just like with examples such as panzer dragoon saga little samsom but being less rare than those 2

everything can be made common on ebay if all people decide to sell the same items.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 06:07:52 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

dreama1

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 06:39:53 am »
How are you defining common anyway? Do you mean in the sense that it's rare but can you can find a fair amount of copies listed online?
Do you mean listings barely show up? or do you mean if they printed a few million copies? If so Earthbound is hardly common and it sold like shit when it came out.

I'd go with Final Fantasy 7. It's pretty expensive for how common it is.

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 06:54:19 am »
How are you defining common anyway? Do you mean in the sense that it's rare but can you can find a fair amount of copies listed online?
Do you mean listings barely show up? or do you mean if they printed a few million copies? If so Earthbound is hardly common and it sold like shit when it came out.

if you're asking me then I meant a few million copies slightly less. Also in my opinion just because a game is expensive cheap or common or rare, often times that don't increase the quality or the price of the item, it's sheer chance and YouTube influences that drive a lot of prices up

I kid you not, I once saw a seller on Amazon selling a PlayStation 2 phat for exactly $1,000,000 US dollars and someone might have bought it too. or it went down in price because it is long gone from amazon.com

(edit)
Mickey Speedway USA for the N64 is a Mario Kart clone and it's an excellent alternative for a kart style racing game but because it's not mario related it is not as popular and is way cheaper, at least when I got it

« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 07:04:16 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 06:55:20 am »

Nothing that sold less than 150,000 units could be considered common, IMO.  The price is still way too high, but its hardly common I think.

dreama1

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 07:06:25 am »

if you're asking me then I meant a few million copies slightly less. Also in my opinion just because a game is expensive cheap or common or rare, often times that don't increase the quality or the price of the item, it's sheer chance and YouTube influences that drive a lot of prices up

I kid you not, I once saw a seller on Amazon selling a PlayStation 2 phat for exactly $1,000,000 US dollars and someone might have bought it too. or it went down in price because it is long gone from amazon.com

(edit)
Mickey Speedway USA for the N64 is a Mario Kart clone and it's an excellent alternative for a kart style racing game but because it's not mario related it is not as popular and is way cheaper, at least when I got it
How does someone sleep at night or look at themselves in the mirror listing that at $1,000,000?

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 09:29:49 am »
Earthbound is 'rare' in that, compared to the likes of Mario & such, it had a much lower print run. It's not something you can expect to find in every game shop you ever visit. It's got enough reputation as a 'pricey' game, however, that plenty of resellers gobbled up copies and are now looking to turn a profit. Which is why the prices don't seem to drop- these guys will happily sit on those copies for years until they either turn a profit, or it becomes readily apparent they have to lower their prices. Which tends to happen when players/collectors selling amongst themselves drop prices to expedite sales- after all, we want to buy new games more than make a certain amount of money.

I tend to use the Ebay test for true rarity- basically, look up a game and see how many listings there are. If you can find a dozen copies for sale at any given time, it's not really that rare. There's several dozen Earthbounds up once you scroll past the obvious fakes. Then on the flipside, you have something like Video Whizball, an old Channel F game that most people won't have heard of. That one's rare enough that most days, there are zero copies available on Ebay. Most games like that, that are truly rare, have no set value becuase there's no past data to really pull from. In the case of Whizball, in the year I watched Ebay, lamenting listings I missed by minutes, I saw it go as low at $5 and as high as $200. I ultimately paid $40 on a different forum.

It's also worth noting that everyone has different ideas of what a properly 'expensive' game is. I, for example, wouldn't blink an eye at a $20 game, especially one of known quality like a Zelda or Mario. Over $30 is 'pricey', expensive doesn't start until $50, and unaffordable is well into triple digits. Meawhile some people drop $1000 or more on single titles without a concern. Honestly, that's kind of the nice thing about gaming- almost every income level can find something enjoyable for themselves in it.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2019, 07:54:22 pm »
Well I guess it's all a matter of opinion but i feel a game like panzer dragoon with about 5000 copies sold is rare and a game that sold over 100,000 copies relatively common imo.

sworddude

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2019, 05:29:11 am »
Well I guess it's all a matter of opinion but i feel a game like panzer dragoon with about 5000 copies sold is rare and a game that sold over 100,000 copies relatively common imo.

everything is relative. The nintendo market is allot bigger, saturn is a failed console with a way smaller market. probably some common games wich have less amounts sold than the rarer titles pretty much the entire library didnt sell 100K units a piece in the US.

but than again panzer dragoon is one of the holy grails with 5000 copies sold in the US. for it to be a holy grail in say funko pop the amounts are 48 or less in existence so you could say panzer dragoon saga is common compared to some pops everything is relative after all  ::)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 07:09:21 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!