Author Topic: Have You Ever Benefited From Playing Games From Any Of Your Education  (Read 1123 times)

Believe it or not I wish I  took and knew calculus now that I'm older. What does this have to do with video games you ask? Well Believe it or not one of my most favorite golf video game' s own announcer even says when you on the green, When the game has a real difficult putt/shot, that calculus would help you figure this out and I believe it!!

From what I gather calculus is about judging time, distance, and speed and, angle math. But I never took it in high school. But I should have. Ok so I could be wrong, but I think that is what calculus is about (correct me if I am wrong)

I think it would have helped me not just for golf video games but I think it would have helped with a little bit of a lot of video games.

also although we already talked about foreign languages in video games I remember when I first learned how to read English. In kindergarten or 1st grade, I was amazed at how I could actually understand what games said. yes I remember actually not being able  read, and playing PC video games before elementary school.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 04:33:18 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

ferraroso

Re: Have You Ever Benefited From Playing Games From Any Of Your Education
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 10:47:07 pm »
Well, being born in Brazil, living in Japan and using this forum in English, I can say that playing games has really helped me in learning foreign languages.
Actually, up to this day, everytime I need to practice a language, I try not only to play my games in that language, but also to change the language settings in my computer, cellphone or whatever devices that allows me to do that.

It has really helped me improve my French and German, for example.

tripredacus

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 10:56:29 am »
I'm not sure if this is on topic, but I can share it.

When I was in college, I had begun to learn how to create 3D models using Renderware for use in ActiveWorlds. I was working with a guy who ran an ActiveWorlds instance and he said if I learned how to use that language, then I could help on his project. So I went about trying to learn it. While 3D UI modelling programs were available, they were out of reach for me financially, and the conversion tools were not as good as I would have liked. So there was no shortcutting the process. I would first draw objects onto graph paper, determine their vertices and connect them. The vertices are all three dimensional coordinates. And this was done only using graph paper and Notepad.exe to create the object file. When I think I am done, I load the file into the renderer and see how it looks.

It was quite difficult for me at first. One wrong coodinate means that the object has one point shooting off into the distance. I remember the day in the computer lab, the day that it just clicked and I figured it out. A literal eureka or lightbulb moment. I then moved away from the complex shape training I was doing and moved into a more complex project. My goal then was to create a 3D model of the Iomega Ditto Max tape drive. It took some weeks but I did finally manage to do it. I remember it being 11 pages of code, which I then printed.

My Technical Math professor at college had said at the beginning of the semester that everyone had to pick a project, and half way through he would meet with everyone to see how the progress was. I didn't really pick anything from his list, but when I had the meeting I brought the printout of the code for the 3D model. I showed him that and the original graph paper drawings and explained how I had determined the vertices in 3D space for each and went through the code to show how those were used to construct polygons. That did end up being related to a chapter in the text book, although it was not in such detail. He understood that connection and said I didn't have to come to class anymore and I got an A for the course.  :)

Fully understanding relationships of vertices and vectors changed how I viewed certain things. I was now able to see angles in real life. The best real world example was from playing pool. I was immediately able to identify the appropriate shot that had to be taken. In the end, I didn't get to do much work in ActiveWorlds, and eventually Renderware became well known starting as the engine used by Rockstar in Grand Theft Auto III and many other games. A couple years later I ended up working on learning creating interactive images using the vector-based SVG language, which was uniquely powerful... Including the creating of a fully text-based website that used zero actual images and was created solely using XML and SVG. Projects of a bygone era, I never do anything like that anymore.

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 08:20:43 pm »
that's an interesting story @tripredacus Someone in my family does something similar to that.
 :)

Notepad is actually an amazing program to me, before I took a manual web design coarse in high school I never knew that actual programs or web sites could be built ground up with just a text editor. of course 3D modeling in the early stages like you said is way more complex of a kind of coding then even manual web design.

Today I cringe at the thought that now a days everything is automatic. And most people I don't think are  taught how to build programs or even websites from the ground up anymore.

like what if future generation programmers are always schooled with automatic code generators? like what would  happen if  those programs went away in the future? how would the people of tomorrow know how to build the various technology of today. tomorrow,

Well, being born in Brazil, living in Japan and using this forum in English, I can say that playing games has really helped me in learning foreign languages.
Actually, up to this day, everytime I need to practice a language, I try not only to play my games in that language, but also to change the language settings in my computer, cellphone or whatever devices that allows me to do that.

It has really helped me improve my French and German, for example.

that's also cool @ferraroso  I only know English but It's good to know other languages too
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 08:25:03 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 01:40:50 am »
Didn't necessarily help me in school or anything but the Assassin's Creed games taught me a lot about history so there's that lol

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 03:11:28 am »
Didn't necessarily help me in school or anything but the Assassin's Creed games taught me a lot about history so there's that lol

I could never figure out how to pick the first lock on this one Assassin's Creed game. since the on screen text that show me how is in tiny text. and no way to make it bigger in order to read it.

I can't read what to do, on my television and I never picked a lock in real life, so I just gave up right at the beginning of this Assassin's Creed' game I think it was Assassin's Creed III, not sure though

NO APPS NEEDED

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 08:05:43 pm »
When I was a kid and early teen I hated reading, probably because I wasn't that good at it back then. The only time I enjoyed it was while playing a game. I used to enjoy reading player's guides for games I had and also my video game magazines. Later on I enjoyed reading about video games online as well. Luckily I outgrew that phase and now enjoy reading about things that interest me and are relevant to me one way or another.

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 08:17:42 pm »
When I was a kid and early teen I hated reading, probably because I wasn't that good at it back then. The only time I enjoyed it was while playing a game. I used to enjoy reading player's guides for games I had and also my video game magazines. Later on I enjoyed reading about video games online as well. Luckily I outgrew that phase and now enjoy reading about things that interest me and are relevant to me one way or another.

what helped me with both reading and spelling early on was a Vtech kids Laptop computer. I had math reading and spelling video games. that were fun

I hated algebra and anything past basic math because it didn't make any sense to me. and it took me going to a special class for the last 30 minutes of elementary. school in order to actually learn how to multiply and more so long division. She was the greatest teacher I ever had in 5th and 6th grade for the last 30 minutes of school I could hardly wait to go to her class.

I could never focus in 5th grade (with my normal 5th grade teacher) but in 6th grade I did a ton better and passed.

thanks to the resource room teacher  in elementary was the one that I learned everything I needed to advance.

I was placed into 6th grade, so technically I failed 5th grade but. My primary 5th grade teacher felt sorry for me being ill that he got me into 6th grade without even sending me to summer school.

I was lucky, and I feel sorry for anyone that ever had to repeat a grade or was forced into summer school :'(

In middle school and high school I also had special teachers that were trained to deal with the mentally ill. and they were known as resource room or elite teachers. that would actually teach students and not pile on the books and books of homework the non mentally had to go through at my school
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 08:54:03 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED