Author Topic: What do you think makes someone sell their 'whole' collection?  (Read 6888 times)

dreama1

What do you think makes someone sell their 'whole' collection?
« on: October 18, 2019, 01:28:02 pm »
What do you think makes someone sell their 'whole' collection?

I don't mean downsizing but selling the entire thing.

Also other than a serious financial crisis, this is excluded for obvious reasons.

Do you believe they actually cared originally or it was something else? A passing interest? Another poster mentioned hoarding or addiction rather than passion for the games?

rayne315

Re: What do you think makes someone sell their 'whole' collection?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 02:03:48 pm »
over time interests change. I can easily see someone that had a passion for games from their childhood who collected through to their adult life and just grew out of gaming. for me just getting a wife and a house took my gaming time from ~5 hours a night to ~2. if I were to have a kid I can see how that would be down to 1 or even less. after years of that I would be tempted to sell my whole collection as well.

Also a side note is its easier to sell a whole collection than piecing it out. if you have 100 sports games in it then after you sell everything piece meal youll still have those 100 games. where ass everything together gets rid of it all fast (even if it is for a discount over piecemeal, less headache as well)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 02:06:30 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 03:29:44 pm »
As mentioned. A financial crisis will most likely be top reason.
A divorce will be a close second.

Some may have gotten into collecting just to flip the games acquired.

You may have outgrown gaming and left the stash at your parents after going off to school. I’ve def seen this one a lot.

The last would be no time to play anymore or lack of space. I see these reasons on Craigslist quite often.

sworddude

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 03:46:19 pm »
getting kids replacing the collection room for a baby room

wich as an end results leaves the collection exposed angering the wife who thinks it's getting messy. in wich case you just need to get rid of it fast eventhough you dont need the money.

sometimes you've got to take one for the family.

also what about the idea of selling the whole collection and replacing it for a few everdrives. tons of space saved could be reason for some to sell the collection.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 04:00:16 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 04:13:58 pm »
I've spoken to and known many people that have done this and here are some of the reasons.

Lost all interest in collecting and gaming
Needed money to put down on a house
Needed money to go back to school
Divorce
Lost job and needed the money to pay bills

So far I haven't heard anyone do it for a baby, but know this is a reason why some have done it. I feel like the leading cause it mostly a shift in priorities and realizing that they need the money from their collection to pay for something far more important to them.

dreama1

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 04:27:52 pm »
I've spoken to and known many people that have done this and here are some of the reasons.

Divorce

So far I haven't heard anyone do it for a baby, but know this is a reason why some have done it. I feel like the leading cause it mostly a shift in priorities and realizing that they need the money from their collection to pay for something far more important to them.
If the wife was a gamer would they have to split their collection? Don't think I could think of anything more humiliating.

sworddude

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 04:52:16 pm »

Divorce

If the wife was a gamer would they have to split their collection? Don't think I could think of anything more humiliating.

there is a new rule in my country that only happened some years ago as far as marriages goes.

everything that you own before the marriage won't be split 50/50 in a divorce. so you have collection before marriage and there is a divorce the collection won't be split only stuff that was aquired after marriage this counts for both sides if you had some valuable personal stuff before getting married.

as far as the baby room goes I've had some cases. usually with smaller homes appartments so it's kinda unavoidable for some people.  it's probavbly a less common issue when you have a big house. heck I've even had some cases withouth a baby room. the guy got engaged and the wife hates games it looks messy. it's getting rid of the collection or the wife.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 05:01:25 pm by sworddude »

dreama1

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 04:58:52 pm »

Divorce

there is a new rule in my country that only happened some years ago as far as marriages goes.

everything that you own before the marriage won't be split 50/50 in a divorce. so you have collection before marriage and there is a divorce the collection won't be split only stuff that was aquired after marriage this counts for both sides if you had some valuable personal stuff before getting married.

as far as the baby room goes I've had some cases. usually with smaller homes appartments so it's kinda unavoidable for some people.  it's probavbly a less common issue when you have a big house. heck I;ve even had some cases withouth a baby room. the guy got engaged and the wife hates games. it's getting rid of the collection or the wife.
Get rid of the wife.

sworddude

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 04:59:43 pm »

Divorce

as far as the baby room goes I've had some cases. usually with smaller homes appartments so it's kinda unavoidable for some people.  it's probavbly a less common issue when you have a big house. heck I;ve even had some cases withouth a baby room. the guy got engaged and the wife hates games. it's getting rid of the collection or the wife.
Get rid of the wife.

you would not believe how many guys just suck it up and get rid of the games even if they don't enjoy it. the wife is for sure Wearing The Pants in that relation ship

Flashback2012

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 06:17:16 pm »
you would not believe how many guys just suck it up and get rid of the games even if they don't enjoy it. the wife is for sure Wearing The Pants in that relation ship

But women have been allowed to wear pants for several decades now. Maybe the saying needs to be updated to "The husband wears the dresses/skirts in that relationship"?

I dunno if that works either. I mean, the husband might have the full support of the wife to cross dress and who are we to kink shame anyone?  :P

On topic, most of the bases have been covered in regards to reasons for someone to sell their collections. For me, I imagine it would be due to financial difficulties or loss of interest. I've been made essentially homeless before and having a sizable collection can be a PITA to move about. I know a lot of it isn't worth much at all so I'd have to either donate it, give it away, or sell it at a huge loss (not that I expect to get what I paid in).

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 07:09:43 pm »

Divorce

Guy #1: Guy has almost complete NES collection and probably 1000 games on other consoles. Sells everything right before him and his wife split so she can't take any of it.

Guy #2: him and his wife built the collection together so when they split they decided to sell everything and split the value 50/50. Tried selling it all to people on a facebook group I belong too, but surprise no one had $45,000 to buy it. It eventually dropped to $35,000 until they made a deal with a local retro game store who bought it all for $25,000. The lady in that relationship was a total bitch and am no surprised they got divorced.

Guy #3: Sold to pay alimony to ex.

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2019, 05:23:29 am »
Like others have already stated, and to answer the original post. Some people just lose interest, Like my dad used to play video games all the time, I even gave him one of my PlayStation 3's and two of my games, a couple of years ago. He's almost 55 years old today. he has more interest today in watching movies and shows than playing any games anymore. Even though his wife is not demanding, he rather spend time with his wife, he enjoys that more than anything. After coming home from work

Of course my dad was never really a collector, he just bought a few games and played them whenever he needed to escape from reality.

A lot of people get tried of video games when their older, and start watching the television more than actually playing anything on it. some don't some people do.

And for the record a lot of women like video games as well in fact I think we have at least three ladies who regularly attend on the forums here as well.
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2019, 06:43:31 am »
And for the record a lot of women like video games as well in fact I think we have at least three ladies who regularly attend on the forums here as well.

*waves*

My sister is the only person I know in real life who's done full purges. Basically,  she'll get a nostalgic itch for our childhood favorites, play her fill, then sell the lot to avoid clutter. Online, there's a few guys on Atariage who enjoy the hunt more than most, and sell off full console runs if they lose interest temporarily just so they can hunt it down again later if they change their mind. It's not something I can personally relate to, but I've never been a big dumper of stuff. Not a hoarder by a long shot, I just keep things unless I'm sure I dont want it snymore.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2019, 09:58:06 am »

*waves*

My sister is the only person I know in real life who's done full purges. Basically,  she'll get a nostalgic itch for our childhood favorites, play her fill, then sell the lot to avoid clutter. Online, there's a few guys on Atariage who enjoy the hunt more than most, and sell off full console runs if they lose interest temporarily just so they can hunt it down again later if they change their mind. It's not something I can personally relate to, but I've never been a big dumper of stuff. Not a hoarder by a long shot, I just keep things unless I'm sure I dont want it snymore.

I’ve heard of and seen what you are talking about.

I’m more like you.

I’ve also had small collections (a console and a few games) given to me a couple of times by newly married guys that married a “the games go or I go” spouse. One time my wife (a fellow gamer) couldn’t help but say “you choose... poorly” (like the knight in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade). As the person surrendered the games.

I tried to buy them. He wouldn’t take my money. Just wanted the games to go to a good home.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 10:09:21 am by dashv »

sworddude

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2019, 10:04:25 am »

I'm not saying i disagree with you but your argument there kinda says the opposite with the 3 vs the rest.

There are some girls that like games but i'd say it still is a ton less than guys nothing to strange about that. could be different in some regions obviously

Gotto say though the few times that i was selling duplicates at a con in the past mainly populated by guys. my best customers buying the actual pricy stuff where pretty much all girls to a few of them i just had to ask if they bought it for someone else but it was for themselves i was kinda shocked at the time i know it's bad on my part but gimme a break here :o
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 10:07:04 am by sworddude »