Author Topic: What Is Your Experience With The Xbox One Original Or S Or X  (Read 3373 times)

What Is Your Experience With The Xbox One Original Or S Or X
« on: November 17, 2019, 06:17:00 am »
Since I got a newer television, and some Xbox One games and a controller already. I'm thinking about buying an Xbox One console soon. Maybe after Christmas. Anyone care to give me your experiences with these devices?

Is there any negative surprises with these things? do I need an Xbox online account to play games offline? does this thing need to download or install every single Xbox or Xbox360 game from the disc before playing it like a PC?

Is this console worth the big money they charge for it? I trust all of your inputs before googling every single detail.

I saw a topic about someone asking about the Xbox One X but it was a vary shallow thread. but this thread is for both the Xbox One S or X or Original
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 06:30:02 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: What Is Your Experience With The Xbox One Original Or S Or X
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 09:14:54 am »
Since I got a newer television, and some Xbox One games and a controller already. I'm thinking about buying an Xbox One console soon. Maybe after Christmas. Anyone care to give me your experiences with these devices?

Is there any negative surprises with these things? do I need an Xbox online account to play games offline? does this thing need to download or install every single Xbox or Xbox360 game from the disc before playing it like a PC?

Is this console worth the big money they charge for it? I trust all of your inputs before googling every single detail.

I saw a topic about someone asking about the Xbox One X but it was a vary shallow thread. but this thread is for both the Xbox One S or X or Original

I own all three XBOX One consoles.  I’ll try and answer your Q’s the best I can. 

1. You can play games offline no problem.  You’ll only need an XBOX Live account if you play on using the social features, buy digital games from the Microsoft store and or collect achievements.  I also believe you need an account (doesn’t have to be paid) if you want to use backwards compatibility because you have to download the XBOX and XBOX 360 games. 
2. If you have a 4K TV with or without HDR an X is worth it.  If you have HDR an X is a must.  I also enjoy the better frame rates the extra hardware muscle the X gives me. 
3. An S is only good if you want to play 4K blu rays otherwse it has zero impact on the gaming. I bought my S because it was cheap and my original XBOX One’s power supply fried after several thousand hours of gaming and being left on 24/7 for years.  The S and X won’t have that PSU problem. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 09:16:34 am by jce3000gt »

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 09:43:49 am »

I own all three XBOX One consoles.  I’ll try and answer your Q’s the best I can. 

1. You can play games offline no problem.  You’ll only need an XBOX Live account if you play on using the social features, buy digital games from the Microsoft store and or collect achievements.  I also believe you need an account (doesn’t have to be paid) if you want to use backwards compatibility because you have to download the XBOX and XBOX 360 games. 
2. If you have a 4K TV with or without HDR an X is worth it.  If you have HDR an X is a must.  I also enjoy the better frame rates the extra hardware muscle the X gives me. 
3. An S is only good if you want to play 4K blu rays otherwse it has zero impact on the gaming. I bought my S because it was cheap and my original XBOX One’s power supply fried after several thousand hours of gaming and being left on 24/7 for years.  The S and X won’t have that PSU problem.

thanks for the input @jce3000gt  :)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 11:10:08 am »

thanks for the input @jce3000gt  :)

No problem.  I also wanted to mention about the XBOX and XBOX 360 games that if you have the disc you download the game for free. 

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 11:49:19 am »
You'll need to make an Xbox Live account, as stated, but you don't have to make a PAID account. You only need to get the paid Gold Membership if you want to play online or get the freebie games. Basic stuff like using the store for buying digital games, messaging people on your friends list, etc. Should work just fine without Gold. Does for me, anyway.

If you have an existing Mircosoft account from another service, I think it can link into your Xbox account so you don't have to set up something brand-new if you don't want to... not 100% sure since my 360 was my first official Microsoft product, so mine's always been connected to my Xbox.

You DO have to download EVERY game, even if it's on a disc. Having said that, it's very easy to get an external drive set up connected to an Xbox (the S model at least has a USB port on the back for that reason), so it may be cheaper to buy a system with a smaller drive & an external. Unless you prefer an all-in-one unit, then plan accordingly.

As for whether or not you should get one... there's very little on Xbox these days that can't be played elsewhere. If you game on PC, there's pretty much no reason to bother with one. If you use consoles exclusively, you may find enough content to warrant the purchase, but really, REALLY look into it first- the handful of third party titles are starting to migrate to Switch, so unless you really like the first party lineup it may not be worth the money.

Watch for sales. The Xbox's underdog role means there's some incredibly good sales on consoles from time to time. Don't pay full price for one, you shouldn't have to.

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 12:23:25 pm »
You DO have to download EVERY game, even if it's on a disc.

I don't believe it is EVERY game though, I have at least one game that didn't when I had my internet go out.  I am going to test this theory on a few games.

Having said that, it's very easy to get an external drive set up connected to an Xbox (the S model at least has a USB port on the back for that reason), so it may be cheaper to buy a system with a smaller drive & an external. Unless you prefer an all-in-one unit, then plan accordingly.

FYI, the original XBOX One console also had the USB port to use an external HDD.  I've been using the same external HDD since the beginning on all three of my XBOX One consoles.  :)

If you game on PC, there's pretty much no reason to bother with one.

I disagree.  Having a good media hub (the XB console itself) and 4K bluray player with the S/X is quite awesome.  Especially if you have an HDR 4K TV.  It makes a huge difference watching a movie on that instead of a smaller PC monitor.  And I say this as someone with a killer PC audio system and a 46" high quality low lag HDTV TV as a computer monitor.  Plus the simple fact of having XBOX and XBOX 360 backwards compatibility alone makes it a must buy.  Essentially 3 systems in one with the best version of the XBOX style controller and all of the other ancillary features make an XBOX One a good buy.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 12:25:26 pm by jce3000gt »

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 01:23:10 pm »
If you put in a OG Xbox or 360 disc in, it will download the game rather than installing. If you put a One disc in, it will install from the disc, but many games have enough patches that there will be a sizable download accompanying the install.

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 10:21:39 pm »
Plus the simple fact of having XBOX and XBOX 360 backwards compatibility alone makes it a must buy.  Essentially 3 systems in one with the best version of the XBOX style controller and all of the other ancillary features make an XBOX One a good buy.

I actually disagree with this one- it's nice-ish, but it's hardly '3 systems in one'. Of the 360's 1,114 North American releases, 568 are Xbox One compatible- that's only about 51%. Original Xbox is worse- only 39 titles can be played on Xbox One. My Xbox collection is new & fairly small, only 20 titles. Only 6 of them are backwards compatible- hardly enough to warrant getting rid of my OG system. They've also announced they're not adding new BC titles to the Xbox One in favor of developing the Scarlett, so it's not getting any better.

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 12:53:23 am »
I actually disagree with this one- it's nice-ish, but it's hardly '3 systems in one'. Of the 360's 1,114 North American releases, 568 are Xbox One compatible- that's only about 51%.

As a counterpoint, what games for the 360 would you consider "must plays" that are not playable on the One? While they didn't get every game, effectively every major release and top rated non-sports game is on the BC list or has a port. So a person may need a 360 for something like Barbie Puppy Rescue or Bomberman: Act Zero, but the big games of the generation like Halo, Mass Effect, Gears of War, and so on, all work on the One and perform even better than if they were on their home console.

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 07:40:06 am »
I actually disagree with this one- it's nice-ish, but it's hardly '3 systems in one'. Of the 360's 1,114 North American releases, 568 are Xbox One compatible- that's only about 51%.

As a counterpoint, what games for the 360 would you consider "must plays" that are not playable on the One? While they didn't get every game, effectively every major release and top rated non-sports game is on the BC list or has a port. So a person may need a 360 for something like Barbie Puppy Rescue or Bomberman: Act Zero, but the big games of the generation like Halo, Mass Effect, Gears of War, and so on, all work on the One and perform even better than if they were on their home console.

^ 100% this.

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 04:45:26 pm »
My little brother has an S and their alright. As I said in the thread I created about why anyone would buy and XBONE over a PS4, his justification was Halo and Gears. Other than that multiplats all play and look the same for the most part.

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2019, 06:06:22 pm »
My little brother has an S and their alright. As I said in the thread I created about why anyone would buy and XBONE over a PS4, his justification was Halo and Gears. Other than that multiplats all play and look the same for the most part.

Controller plays a huge part of it too.  I prefer the XBOX style layout and feel over the PS style. 

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 06:46:44 pm »
Quote from: emporerdragon link=topic=10483.msg172192#msg172192

Going through my own modest 360 collection (40 titles), the non-compatible titles are:

Beautiful Katamari
Burger King games (3 titles)
Devil May Cry 4
El Shaddai
Guitar Hero series (I have 5 titles on 360)
The Last Remnant
Lollipop Chainsaw
N3: Ninety-Nine Nights
Ninja Blade
Project Silpheed
Rock Band series (I have 2 titles on 360)
Sega Superstars Tennis
Tales of Vesperia
Tetris Evolution

So, 21 out of 40 games I own require a proper 360 (that's a much closer parallel to the whole set than I thought). I'm not about to say all of these are worthwhile- the BK games are a joke, Tetris is readily available on damn near everything. But I will argue that Lollipop Chainsaw & El Shaddai are worthwhile, one of the band games is damn near a requirement, & I got Beautiful Katamari even before I got the 360! Are some of those multi console? Yes- but it's still needing a second console. Being a 360 or PS3 is almost irrelevant.

For 360 games, it's a matter of taste. Maybe some people can get everything they'd want. People like me, who gravitate towards b-tier, import, "weird"? Not so much.

And it's absolutely not a replacement for an original Xbox, full stop.

mark1982

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2019, 09:49:56 pm »

Going through my own modest 360 collection (40 titles), the non-compatible titles are:

Beautiful Katamari
Burger King games (3 titles)
Devil May Cry 4
El Shaddai
Guitar Hero series (I have 5 titles on 360)
The Last Remnant
Lollipop Chainsaw
N3: Ninety-Nine Nights
Ninja Blade
Project Silpheed
Rock Band series (I have 2 titles on 360)
Sega Superstars Tennis
Tales of Vesperia
Tetris Evolution

Wow I never knew Devil May Cry 4, El Shaddai, Last Remnant and Tales of Vesperia are not backwards compatible... Those titles are pretty big especially DMC4.

Wasn't Last Remnant a X360 exclusive as well when it was initially launched? strange that it's not compatible. The main reason I have an XONE is for backwards compatibility, I should go through my games to see which ones actually work with the final list they released recently.

I know I tried to play Condemned 2: Bloodshot and it didn't work, was bummed out about that.
  l    l 

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2019, 12:41:26 am »

Wow I never knew Devil May Cry 4, El Shaddai, Last Remnant and Tales of Vesperia are not backwards compatible... Those titles are pretty big especially DMC4.

However, DMC and Vesperia both have One releases, making that less of an issue.

Wasn't Last Remnant a X360 exclusive as well when it was initially launched? strange that it's not compatible.
I think you're thinking of Infinite Undiscovery, which is backwards compatible as well as the other 2 exclusive JRPGs for the system, Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey.