Author Topic: Video Game Cartridges and End Labels  (Read 5140 times)

jeffmandm

Video Game Cartridges and End Labels
« on: November 18, 2019, 01:32:53 pm »
After purchasing my Famicom off eBay a couple weeks ago, a few of the carts I bought separate from the system itself arrived within the past week or so. Since these were early Bandai carts, when they used their own design for them, they have end labels to tell what the game is if it were stacked on a shelf. It's a shame that most third-party companies (besides Konami, Koei, and Bandai off the top of my head) never used their own style to allow for end labels. More to the point of what I made this topic to discuss, though, I realized that the US and Europe had it easy with their cartridge designs allowing for an end label. With the Super NES/Famicom, non-US carts seem not to have end labels, and the N64 doesn't have any end labels at all, regardless of region! When sorting games, this must be really annoying. Considering I grew up with an SNES I'm used to the end labels being there, so not having them seems kind of... alien to me. What about the rest of you guys? Anyone else share my sentiments on the matter?

Re: Video Game Cartridges and End Labels
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 02:40:56 pm »
I'm too lazy to find and print out end labels for my Nintendo 64 collection, but, If I had the resources and knew where to find end labels it might be different. That is why I sort them out in genre, because I don't have end labels for them currently.

But I definitely think that end labels are a good thing, I do have some label stickers on some of my N64 games from when i got them from from JJgames, but they are just white stickers on the end of them. They are not really end labels
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 02:56:56 pm »
When I was younger, my Dad wrote the names of the games on the ends of the N64 cartridges. Nowadays, I don't bother printing end labels or writing on the cartridges because I hardly use my N64. Regardless, I don't have many games so it doesn't take that long to find what I am looking for.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 05:20:11 pm »
I just bought a set of Labels off of Etsy and stuck them to my N64 games

megasilverx1

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 06:32:28 pm »
I'm not very fond of the amount of variation in cartridge shape and colors when it comes to Famicom games after being so used to how nice and uniform NES carts look. As for the end label issue, I ended up making my own end labels for my Famicom, Super Famicom, N64, and 5200 games.

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 09:09:31 am »
It's largely a non-issue for me. I keep my games alphabetized, so I can zero in on about where I title I want is fairly quickly. I've considered picking up some end labels for my N64 carts, but so far I've yet to see a design I really like for them, and I don't have that many to being with, so it's not a huge priority.

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 11:09:31 am »
SMS and Famicom carts just go into a cassette drawer for me. I do not like carts without end labels, as such I don't bother with N64 at all.

Warmsignal

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 02:34:48 am »
End labels are handy, but shouldn't be necessary. Keep your boxes people! I'd much rather have my carts in a box, or a case of some sort than sitting on end somewhere. Eventually all of my games will be boxed one way or another so I don't worry too much about it.

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 05:17:01 am »
End labels are handy, but shouldn't be necessary. Keep your boxes people! I'd much rather have my carts in a box, or a case of some sort than sitting on end somewhere. Eventually all of my games will be boxed one way or another so I don't worry too much about it.

Boxes and end labels are nice to look at. But in my own opinion boxes take up a lot of space. I keep my boxes. but my games are not in them. having games in boxes really does not do any good for preserving the the games. It may work more for consoles in storage but

I don't know what they are called but those plastic cartridge end tips are the best way to keep dust off your cartridge game edges.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 05:22:02 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

pzeke

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 07:02:56 am »
It's largely a non-issue for me. I keep my games alphabetized, so I can zero in on about where I title I want is fairly quickly. I've considered picking up some end labels for my N64 carts, but so far I've yet to see a design I really like for them, and I don't have that many to being with, so it's not a huge priority.

Exactly this, to a T.

I don't know what they are called but those plastic cartridge end tips are the best way to keep dust off your cartridge game edges.

Dust covers.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2019, 05:57:16 pm »
I buy CIB mainly to avoid this issue in the first place.  And it's why I have avoided collecting original GB/GBC for the most part.  I dislike loose carts, and really only can tolerate loose NES and SNES.