Author Topic: Should digital games be counted on a physical collection database?  (Read 2940 times)

Digital only games really have no substance for collectors and was wondering if they should really be included in this type of database. Seems to me one can list hundreds of games in this collection database and really have nothing at home to show for it. Of course anyone can add anything here and there is no proof of ownership as I guess this database only provides a personal list of games an individual needs to keep track of. No one else's business I guess, but when I see someone padding the digital realm of collections it takes from the actual games produced, and coveted by collectors. Sorry for the rant. V.

sworddude

Re: Should digital games be counted on a physical collection database?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 07:22:20 pm »
  Digital only games really have no substance for collectors and was wondering if they should really be included in this type of database. Seems to me one can list hundreds of games in this collection database and really have nothing at home to show for it. Of course anyone can add anything here and there is no proof of ownership as I guess this database only provides a personal list of games an individual needs to keep track of. No one else's business I guess, but when I see someone padding the digital realm of collections it takes from the actual games produced, and coveted by collectors. Sorry for the rant. V.

I would personally not see those have any value to a collector.

especially considering that emulation and piracy are things

digital copies are only relevant for 5ish years before it has basicly the same value as a pirated download way later on imo.

I mean look at especially older games you buy it online at the eshop psn etc while you can emulate it on pc or play it on the original console withouth cost.

download is for the experience to play the game not for collecting. wether you purchase or pirate it in the end a digital copy will be as relevant as a pirated download after some years have passed.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 06:18:30 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 11:47:44 pm »
I have a ton of digital games, and I don't count a single one here. (If I do, it's because a physical version wasn't listed despite my having a physical version). I will never add digital games here. I can play them, but I don't consider them a part of my collection.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 04:03:45 pm by wolff242 »

theflea

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 01:37:55 am »
I used to add digital games on the data base, but later thought... Why? Whats the point? Pad your collection?
They don't count for a collection and only way any collector cares about them is if its one of those rare digital games that was removed and never had a physical release, but its stuck on the hard drive of a system. Even then they don't really count as part of a collection.
Maybe the system it's on, but not really the game itself.

I ended up deleting all digital games from the database, just don't see them worth keeping track off.
Only digital games I download anyway are free games. I refuse to support digital only games, no physical means no money from me.
"Happy game hunting!!!"

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 02:35:34 am »
While I've got around 1,500 digital games across my platforms I don't count them because there's no way to separate them from my accounts; I can't sell or trade any of them.

I do however, consider my Team Fortress 2 inventory part of my collection as while that's digital, the items can be freely traded and cashed out (Also, I think it's actually worth more than my physical collection).

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 05:26:45 am »
What's with the gatekeeping? A digital game is still part of an overall game collection. VGCollect obviously has many categories for digital games.

I use this site so I can know what I have, not to brag about the size.

sworddude

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 06:33:33 am »
It's a topic in wich collectors share an opinion that's what a forum is all about after all

There is no gate keeping just people answering the question asked there is no wrong or right answer

You can list your digital collection to your hearts content nobody is stopping you. not to mention most digital games are listed in this data base after all.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 06:35:17 am by sworddude »

pzeke

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 08:25:30 am »
This discussion I believe has been brought up at least once (maybe more). All I can honestly say is, you do you and let the rest do with their collection as they see fit. Saying digital games have “no substance for collectors” is rather disingenuous, if I’m being honest. Not everyone views physical media the same way that you, or I do – some prefer amassing more games than they could ever fit in their homes, while others simply prefer downloading them due to convenience. Not to mention that there are people that like archiving digital media, which in and of itself is collecting. In the context of this website, it being a database of video games and related media, both physical and digital have equal merit.

What's with the gatekeeping? A digital game is still part of an overall game collection. VGCollect obviously has many categories for digital games.

I use this site so I can know what I have, not to brag about the size.

I concur. While it may not have been OP’s intention, his post has a bit of “gatekeeping” feel to it – it also comes across as peevish and somewhat egotistical. Granted, it’s a rant, so they kind of go hand in hand. Nonetheless, I belabor the point that we all should handle our collection however we please because at the end of the day that’s why this database exists; for us to keep track of the games (and any related media) we have. It’s that simple.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

sworddude

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 10:11:20 am »
I'm kinda curious though for digital game collectors

I know of people who have certain games as a paid download on multiple consoles

say chrono trigger

eshop 3ds
eshop wii
wii u eshop
steam
phone

Are you going to list chrono trigger as a digital copy 5 times or 1 time

I"m just curious everyone collects differently after all

Switch kinda brought an end to single nintendo downloads since they are giving free games nowadays with nintendo online for 8 and 16 bit era.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 10:17:24 am by sworddude »

pzeke

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 10:58:18 am »
I guess if that individual does own them all, then sure, I'm guessing yes. I don't know why the heck you'd want to own the same game so many times, but like you said, everyone collects differently. For a personal example, I bought Sin & Punishment back when it was part of the Wii's Virtual Console given I desperately wanted to play it. Then years later I got myself a physical copy of the original Japanese N64 game. They're both in my collection, and I intend to do the same whenever I get a physical copy of any digital game I own, like Mega Man 9 and 10 for example once I get Mega Man Legacy Collection 2.

I can see your point, though. When it comes to digital, some do seem to add to their collection seemingly for the sake of that additional point.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

Flashback2012

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 11:38:56 am »
It's VGCollect, not Physical Game Collect. Digital or not, they're still video games. I have hundreds of titles on Steam that I consider a collection though even after being on here 6 years I've yet to decide whether I want to add them to the site or not. I think I'd be more inclined if there was a way to separate/isolate them along with systems, accessories, swag and strategy guides but we're all constricted by the limitations of the site. That said, far be it from me to tell anyone else what they can or can't add to their collection, digital or not as long as the items are video game related.

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2019, 12:09:36 pm »
everyone makes valid points here, but I created my account to keep track of what I have and where. I didn't make this list for others at all. If I go out and look at games at a flea market and see something I want to buy I can look it up and see if I own it already. If I am out and see something I already own, but only in digital form, I will buy it physically.

I also added notes to my collection when the games case are in bad condition so I can replace it if I ever find the same copy. I see this site as a tool more than a social media site.

telly

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2019, 12:21:21 pm »
Nowhere on this site does it say we're a physical collection database. We're a video game database.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 12:23:01 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
Final Fantasy VI (SNESc), The Last Guardian (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2019, 01:48:14 pm »
I think we handle digital games splendidly around here- they are listed, but in seperate chunks from the physical stuff. When you click on your collection breakdown, You get Games and Games- Digital. When you look at your console list, the online services are their own category. If you consider your physical & digital of equal importance, it's a lil' hoop-jumpy, but it's still just a few clicks & a calcuator to get a total. Plus it's more reflective of how other digital-only options work (like Steam or GoG).

I'm not really a fan of digital games, but I do list the ones I have here. It provides a way for me to show people what games I have available if they want to play something. No, I can't lend a digital game... but there's only a few people I'm willing to lend to. Basically, if you wanna play it, you're visiting. Most of the logic people use to not count digital- 'you can't sell it, it's stuck on that specific hard drive, what if it fails?, etc' seems flawed to me. Physical media fails all the time, and the vast majority of this data can be moved to other drives if you change systems. Unless you're trying to sell, it's not all that different (if a lot more work) from handling physical media- and I don't sell, so what do I care?

I'm kinda curious though for digital game collectors

I know of people who have certain games as a paid download on multiple consoles

say chrono trigger

eshop 3ds
eshop wii
wii u eshop
steam
phone

Are you going to list chrono trigger as a digital copy 5 times or 1 time

I"m just curious everyone collects differently after all

For the example you give, I'd list each game separately. It's no different than listing physical games from multiple systems (say someone has FF13 on PS3 & Xbox 360), or keeping label variants.

Where it gets weird is cross-play... like how some games bought on Vita automatically unlock on PS4 & share save data. I have no digital cross-play titles, so I'm not sure if I'd list the games twice or not. I did list Journey again when it gave me the re-download option on PS4, but that's becuase it has a separate trophies list, so it works like a new copy instead of a simple transfer.

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2019, 12:16:59 am »
I dont have my digital games listed if only because I want to keep an actual count of my physical games especially if Im getting rid and want to keep a number but then again even if decide to include digital again, it would just require some math on my part plus honestly, it would be a good thing to have a one stop database for all of them considering my collection of digital games span multiple platforms whether it be on consoles and even moreso in the past couple of months PC. Plus if a deal of game digitally is good enough then why not? Less space I have to contend with on my part.