Author Topic: Should I sell?  (Read 1185 times)

thewelshman

Should I sell?
« on: January 27, 2020, 11:27:39 am »
Before I post anything in the marketplace, I was curious as to whether on not it would be a good idea to sell some of my more valuable games? I've been lucky enough to purchase some Vita games that are now quite valuable. Should I sell or sit on them. Some of these I have platinumed and/or played as far as I plan on and will never go back to them. Some of these games are:

Vita:
Ar Nosurge Plus
Atelier Escha & Logy Plus - Limited Edition
Asterisk War, The: Phoenix Festa (Play Asia Chinese/Enhlish release)
Atelier Shallie Plus: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea - Limited Edition
Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair - Limited Edition (unopened)
Shovel Knight (Fangamer exclusive - unopened)

I see a lot of them going for $100 or more USD/each, but I also know that seeing it on eBay for that amount and what they sell for is a huge difference. I just wanted the opinion of this board on whether or not I should sell or wait.

Re: Should I sell?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 11:56:35 am »
Search on Ebay, then change the parameters to 'sold listings', sorted by 'recent first'. That'll give you a better idea of what you might get for them.

As for if you should- that's kind of up to you. Have you sold games in the past- and if so, did you miss them? If you didn't have them right in front of you, could you name them all off the top of your head? Do you need more space on your gaming shelves? If you do sell, what would the money go towards?

Don't let a big number trick you into a hasty decision. The best case scenario is: people quit caring about the Vita, so 5-10 years from now you can buy the games back for less than you sell them. Given the almost fanatical take a lot of Vita fans have, I find it more likely you'll end up selling too low. Far worse is the possibility that you regret the decision and can't afford to buy new copies. Unless you're in need of quick cash, take your time and think it over.

pzeke

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 12:22:42 pm »
I echo what hoshichiri said, and would also like to add to not sell for the sake of making a sale. And by that I mean, seeing you have something of value and selling it for a "quick buck" in the end will usually result in regret. I did this a few times during my initial foray on eBay, and about 6 or so years ago with some collectibles I had and I quite honestly regret doing it. Granted, these weren't video games, but my thought process was exactly like yours: these go for a lot, and I don't "need" them anymore, so let me capitalize the opportunity. Fortunately for a few of those collectibles I ended up getting again years later for relatively cheap, but having experienced seller's regret was exhausting in a way, and in the end I wish I hand't gone through in the first place.

So, in conclusion, sit down and think about it.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

Warmsignal

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 01:32:03 pm »
Don't sell just purely because you could make a lot money. Only sell if you can never see yourself wanting to play these games again, or you are questioning why you ever bought them. If you are just wanting to determine if they will become even more valuable, I wouldn't wait much longer. I figure the hype over collecting especially in regards to modern consoles, isn't going to last many more years. It's a symptom of the overall collecting fever which itself has plateaued in last couple of years for retro stuff.

If there's no doubt about wanting to play these games again, then go for it instead of waiting.

thewelshman

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 02:07:57 pm »
Thank you everyone for the feedback. I really appreciate the insight. Some of these games I do own a PS3 copy of the LE edition. The only thing I'll miss out on is a few extra features and having the Vita physical copy. I will give this some more thought for sure. I think a lot of the want to sell is to downsize some and the fact I probably won't play these again.

Again, I really appreciate the feedback.

shfan

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 03:18:06 pm »
Hoshichiri put it better than I could. All I'd add is to treat the sale of anything other than ultra-common titles as a potential cut-off - you might not be able to re-source it in the right condition/price-range for your liking in the future, so is it something you're genuinely done with or something which you might want in the future?

Yesterday I sold some items to a national chain of resale shops (CEX) for cash, some rare games, which nonetheless I'm happy to be without, but I'm never going to be able to access them again because of their rarity/price. (Price also depends on whether you're earning a fat salary measured in the tens of thousands, in which case money wouldn't be an issue, but presumably we wouldn't even be talking about money if money was no object).

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 03:46:59 pm »
Do whatever you feel, but like most everyone has already stated, you may miss those games, in the future but since you said you have some on PlayStation 3. and if it's the same exact game you may not be missing out not having the handheld versions.

but be aware sometimes the Console version, is not the same exact games as the handheld versions.

I know that in my Tiger Woods PGA Tour golf collection. The PlayStation 2 versions, of the games of 2007-2010 are completely different games. From the 2007-2010 PlayStation 3 games of those same exact yearly releases.

Why don't you look up the PS Vita version of those sealed games on YouTube before you sell them, because they may be different games from the PS3 version,
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 03:52:02 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"