Author Topic: External HDD for PS4  (Read 2132 times)

telekill

External HDD for PS4
« on: March 27, 2020, 10:52:38 am »
The last couple years have shown massive increases for install sizes on games. Ridiculous sizes of over 100GB for games like Destiny 2, Red Dead Redemption 2 and Division 2. Back in 2015 or so, I upgraded my PS4's HDD from 500GB to 1TB. It still isn't enough to keep my favorite games installed and keep playing new ones. There was so many times I've had to uninstall and reinstall. RDR2 takes about an hour just to install from the two discs.

I had had enough of it. Bought myself a 4TB external HDD for game installs. I started yesterday and will continue today for getting everything reinstalled. It took about 3 hours to transfer nearly 800GB of installs from the internal to the external. Ridiculous... but now I have a majority of my PS4 game collection ready to go. Just pop the disc in and play like the good ol'days of PS1 and PS2.

I'll also note that after transferring the data off of my PS4's internal drive, keeping only apps like Youtube and game demos, the launch PS4 is running like it was brand new again. Massive difference as the system isn't having to think as hard and dig through all the install data.

I recommend buying an external to use. Load times appear to be faster as well. If you decide to go this route, it seems you have to use the second (right) USB port as the first port doesn't like to format/use the external drives. Not sure if that's just my system.

Re: External HDD for PS4
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 11:46:36 am »
Shoulda just waited for PS5 at this point.

telekill

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 01:35:10 pm »

The recent announcement that PS5 would have less than 1TB of SSD storage with external HDD support is one of the reasons I pulled the trigger. I've got plenty of room on the 4TB external for my entire PS4 library. I'm nearly done installing most my games on it and am breaching the 2TB range.

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 11:47:23 pm »
The one warning I;'ll gibe- if your PS4's power goes off while connected to the hard drive, or if the hard drive is disconnected while the PS4 is on- it could corrupt. I once left my PS4 on low power mode, and the power went out at my house. I had to reinstall EVERYTHING on the External. Also, I've had to hard power down my PS4 when it froze up a couple times, and accidently bumped the cord for the external once- Didn't lose anything those times, but the hard drive had to "repair" each time. Make sure it's in a stable spot where it won't get bumped, and try not to leave your PS4 in low poower mode.

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 03:10:14 am »

The recent announcement that PS5 would have less than 1TB of SSD storage with external HDD support is one of the reasons I pulled the trigger. I've got plenty of room on the 4TB external for my entire PS4 library. I'm nearly done installing most my games on it and am breaching the 2TB range.

SONY wants people to buy more consoles. Other than that I don't see the reason why those games should use that much data a piece. The entire collection of the sims 2 series can fit on a 20GB harddrive and have some room left over on the PC
think Red Dead Redemption 2 should be a hell of a lot smaller video game than The Sims 2 at it's fullest data,

a lot of Modern games like Red Dead Redemption 2  at 100 GB are bloatware, that is what people used to call games like that back in 2010

Why should a game need to take up more than 5GB's or even 10GB's I keep asking and I still don't seem to understand
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 03:30:22 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 06:57:31 pm »
I've had a 4TB for a few years now. Last year I had to delete a bunch because I was running out of room again.