Author Topic: Sell me on Panzer Dragoon  (Read 2030 times)

tpugmire

Sell me on Panzer Dragoon
« on: March 27, 2020, 02:40:11 pm »
I see that the remake is available on the Switch and Limited Run is going to make a physical release. This is a game that I have heard a lot of talk about, but I’ve never played it.  Why is it so popular?  Why do you like/dislike it?
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

telekill

Re: Sell me on Panzer Dragoon
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 02:47:47 pm »
Honestly, I can't. I've never really played the series and from what I've seen on Youtube, it doesn't appear to be something I would enjoy.

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 03:07:39 pm »
It’s an on rails shooter, I have no interest.

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 03:22:51 pm »
I heard someone yesterday compare it to Star Fox 64... dunno if that's accurate or appealing.

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 04:56:28 pm »
As others have said, it's an on rails shooter similar to the Star Fox 64. It's a pretty good game, but nothing amazing. I'd defnitely place Star Fox 64 above in pretty much every way, but if you've never played one of them before I'd say it's worth checking out.

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 05:44:33 pm »
Seems like it's mainly just SEGA nostalgia.

sworddude

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 07:58:48 pm »

wouldnt say sega nostalgia moreso for people who are fans of the niche genre that is called on rail shooter. Sin and punishement series for example is not sega at all. and that game series is pretty fantastic.

Starfox 64 comes even closer in terms of gameplay (minus the comedy and cheesy lines) so if your into these kinds of games it might be worth a shot for something new within this genre

If you haven't played starfox 64 or any games in the sin and punishement series,

If i had to guess people who play gun games (time crisis, house of the dead, lethal enforcers) or classics shootemups might have a blast with the on rails shooter genre aswell.

If shootemups or gun arcade like games aren't your thing than the panzer dragoon series might not be for you.

Could have recommended panzer dragoon orta on xbox some years ago, but that game is sadly not just 10$ anymore. gameplay of the original but with excellent grapics since it's on xbox.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 08:15:40 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 08:17:23 pm »

You're not entirely wrong. I'd say a third of the game's appeal to me personally is that undeniable Saturn look and feel to it. Hell, even the cover art screams mid 90s Sega to me and I am absolutely in love with that era of Sega. It's still an fun game if you're into rail shooters, and while I've never beat it, the Zwei is even better. Saga is also pretty good, albeit very overrated.

Orta is actually the best in the series I've played.

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 07:00:11 pm »

wouldnt say sega nostalgia moreso for people who are fans of the niche genre that is called on rail shooter. Sin and punishement series for example is not sega at all. and that game series is pretty fantastic.

Starfox 64 comes even closer in terms of gameplay (minus the comedy and cheesy lines) so if your into these kinds of games it might be worth a shot for something new within this genre

If you haven't played starfox 64 or any games in the sin and punishement series,

If i had to guess people who play gun games (time crisis, house of the dead, lethal enforcers) or classics shootemups might have a blast with the on rails shooter genre aswell.

If shootemups or gun arcade like games aren't your thing than the panzer dragoon series might not be for you.

Could have recommended panzer dragoon orta on xbox some years ago, but that game is sadly not just 10$ anymore. gameplay of the original but with excellent grapics since it's on xbox.
Star Fox Zero was a lot like 64 and people hated it. Rail shooters are just kinda lame in my opinion. Pokémon Snap was the peak.

sworddude

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2020, 07:38:31 pm »

Star Fox Zero was a lot like 64 and people hated it. Rail shooters are just kinda lame in my opinion. Pokémon Snap was the peak.

Starfox zero was actually pretty bad, has nothing to do with the on rail shooters genre. if it was like starfox 64 old fans would have loved it but even there people didnt like it to much your doing something wrong than as a brand new game.

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2020, 06:47:47 am »

Starfox zero was actually pretty bad, has nothing to do with the on rail shooters genre. if it was like starfox 64 old fans would have loved it but even there people didnt like it to much your doing something wrong than as a brand new game.
Um, it is a lot like 64. It also has many on rails segments.

sworddude

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 03:38:59 pm »

Um, it is a lot like 64. It also has many on rails segments.

just because it's on rail shooter doesnt mean it's the same. all genre's have their bad games

while the original star fox even as a remake on 3ds was praised on wii u it was poorly received by new and old star fox fans. not many liked the game. it literally missed all audiences that could have liked it.

starfox zero would most likely be one of the more forgotten wii u games.

starfox 64 is still considered a classic allong with ocarina of time and mario 64 for how timeless it is

While starfox zero is kinda consdered to be a piece of garbage, you can't compare a game just because it's the same genre.

the starfox ip is kinda notorious for ***king it up what the people wanted after starfox 64.

first starfox adventure wich was totally different and not super great, than starfox assault again totally different game but this time with few on rail shooter sections wich where good but really short. starfox after 64 was received very mediocre.

The forced to much wii u gimmicks this time, with standard controls it might have actually been a good game, yet really annoying to play. While motion controls in past games where minor and easily mastered this time around it doesn't fit the game and only lessens the experience. looking to the 2nd screen all the time doesnt work for a fast paced game.

let alone all the non on rail shooting sections which range from medium to pretty bad.

Starfox command ds was alright but they kinda wasted the ip over the years, and on the wii u they sadly once again didnt do a great job, kinda simular to the paper mario series.

Great games on the n64 and gamecube, yet on the wii onwards the series kinda became trash.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 05:30:25 pm by sworddude »