Author Topic: Title Formatting for Japanese Pokémon Stadium Games  (Read 1014 times)

Title Formatting for Japanese Pokémon Stadium Games
« on: July 10, 2020, 01:14:24 am »
I had some questions about how we should format the title of the Pokémon Stadium games.

First, for all of these games, there is some redundant titling. They are all titled in the format of
  • POCKET MONSTERS' STADIUM ポケモンスタジアム
which when transcribed would appear as
  • POCKET MONSTERS' STADIUM Pokemon Stadium

In situations like this where a version of the title is printed in both English and Japanese, should we include both, or prefer one over the other?

Additionally, on the final Pokémon Stadium, the phrase 「クリスタルバージョン対応」【Crystal Version supported】is display prominently below the title, to the point where I've seen it included as part of the title in several places, including in the current version of this database's entry. On Nintendo's page for the game (which is still live), it only mentions the title as 'Pokemon Stadium Kin Gin', omitting the Crystal part. My question for this is should we include 'Crystal support' as part of the title, or just consider it as non-title text, in the same vein as the text that states '1-4 Players'?

Games in question:
Pocket Monsters' Stadium
Pocket Monsters' Stadium (w/ GB Pack)
Pocket Monsters' Stadium 2
Pocket Monsters' Stadium Kin Gin

Note: I have read the Naming Japanese Games post, and based on that redundant titles would be included in their entirety, but I wanted to ensure that is what is preferred, as redundant titles weren't explicitly mentioned.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 01:21:09 am by grandta13 »

tripredacus

Re: Title Formatting for Japanese Pokémon Stadium Games
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 09:22:39 am »
That post by Telly will only assist in getting the pack name, not getting the game title. For each of these 3 game titles, we use the common name.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/n64/198312-pokemon-stadium/data
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/n64/452036-pokemon-stadium-2/data
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/n64/574524-pokemon-stadium-japan/data

Now for Pocket Monsters Stadium, we do not use the pack name from GameFAQs, rather we want the actual pack name. So here is where you are going to use the actual pack name from the Japanese on the box.

Which it appears to me to be 64 GBパックがセット!
so a name could be Pocket Monsters Stadium - 64 GB Pack Set
You put the pack name from the box in box text, and you can also put it in alt-name if you want.

Also, it is hard to tell on some box arts that are using stylized characters whether small kana is used or not. So for the above, I used ッ instead of ツ, because it looked like it was using the small one.

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 11:26:27 pm »
It's pretty common in Japanese graphic design for any product to have a name or title written out in their native language as well as English. The title isn't redundant, it's a kind of styling thing for them. You can find it all over the place. Here's just a few games.

It would get a little ridiculous if a third of all japanese games on the site had their names written out twice.

As for the Pokemon Crystal thing at the bottom of the Stadium Kin & Gin logo: I'd argue that's not part of the title. I would say it is somewhat unusual for something like that to be so prominent near or on the primary logo, but it's obvious to me they just wanted to make it clear to the prospective customer that it is indeed compatible with Crystal.

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 12:01:02 am »
It would get a little ridiculous if a third of all japanese games on the site had their names written out twice.
That's fair. Though it probably won't come up often, which title should we prefer when the Latin text is different from the Japanese, but with effectively the same meaning? In the case of Stadium, the Latin text is 'POCKET MONSTERS' STADIUM' and the romanisation of the Japanese text is 'Pokemon Stadium'.

EDIT: The same issue can be seen in Yoshi's Island. The Latin text is 'YOSSY ISLAND', and the Japanese is 'Super Mario: Yoshi Island'.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 12:04:18 am by grandta13 »

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 10:41:30 am »
That's fair. Though it probably won't come up often, which title should we prefer when the Latin text is different from the Japanese, but with effectively the same meaning? In the case of Stadium, the Latin text is 'POCKET MONSTERS' STADIUM' and the romanisation of the Japanese text is 'Pokemon Stadium'.

EDIT: The same issue can be seen in Yoshi's Island. The Latin text is 'YOSSY ISLAND', and the Japanese is 'Super Mario: Yoshi Island'.

Common names only, use GameFAQs as your source for game titles.