Author Topic: Should We Create Separate Entries for Indivdual Games in Box Sets?  (Read 1589 times)

I'm primarily referring to games which are sold in individual boxes packaged together as a single set. One such example is the Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy, which includes three games in normal boxes; the only apparent difference is that the back of each box states that it is part of a set and not for individual resale. These games are often broken apart and sold as individuals regardless, which can lead to collections with on one or two of the titles, but not the whole set. We already have a slight precedent for this: if I'm not mistaken, the Not For Resale version of Guitar Hero III (https://vgcollect.com/item/156529) is the version included with the wireless guitar controller package.

EDIT: I found another precedent while adding more games: Hitman Blood Money (https://vgcollect.com/item/165044) from the Hitman Trilogy bundle.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 12:35:33 am by grandta13 »

Re: Should We Create Sepearate Entries for Indivdual Games in Box Sets?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 08:19:16 pm »
Nah, you could just add a note of what's missing.

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 09:25:38 pm »
I would say yes- they are individual games with a variation.

tpugmire

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 09:52:46 pm »
There’s a Guitar Hero box set that is similar. It’s one listing that contains all three games, and the description field is used to specify the case variants included in the set. This is the proper way to list these kinds of things.

https://vgcollect.com/item/27029
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 09:55:42 pm by tpugmire »
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 11:47:44 pm »
There’s a Guitar Hero box set that is similar. It’s one listing that contains all three games, and the description field is used to specify the case variants included in the set. This is the proper way to list these kinds of things.

https://vgcollect.com/item/27029

Well yes, but I think his question pertains to someone that might only have 1 or 2 of the 3 games, and wants to list them in their collection...not if they have the full set.

pzeke

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 11:59:04 pm »
Well yes, but I think his question pertains to someone that might only have 1 or 2 of the 3 games, and wants to list them in their collection...not if they have the full set.

Well, the goal of this website as a database is to be as thorough as possible, and I actually recall back when I joined tripredacus mentioning that a game from a set like the one above could be added to the database on grounds of somebody owning a copy but not the whole set, so having an entry for that copy specifically specifying where it came from and such would be acceptable. The poster could also be added to the database as Swag, too.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

telly

Re: Should We Create Separate Entries for Indivdual Games in Box Sets?
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 07:38:04 am »
There's an entry for the Chrono Trigger half of Final Fantasy Chronicles that was deemed acceptable to have as a standalone entry.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 08:51:50 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
Final Fantasy VI (SNESc), The Last Guardian (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

tripredacus

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 09:54:57 am »
If each of the games inside of the set are different than the retail release (at least concerning the case/artwork and/or the media) then it can have a separate entry.

Descriptors as appropriate:
(Not for Resale)
(Part of a Set)
(Multi-Pack)

If entries are made for things like this, in description it should be noted what pack the thing came in. For packs that contain copies of the retail game and not ones with special NFR artwork, then they do not get new entries as the retail entry would already exist. In that case, you can put in the description of the retail entry that the game was "also available in x pack" type of wording.

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 10:49:06 pm »
If entries are made for things like this, in description it should be noted what pack the thing came in. For packs that contain copies of the retail game and not ones with special NFR artwork, then they do not get new entries as the retail entry would already exist. In that case, you can put in the description of the retail entry that the game was "also available in x pack" type of wording.

If the only discernible difference between the bundle version and the retail version is the presence of the 'Not for Resale' mark and/or the absence of a barcode, would that be enough to be considered 'special NFR artwork', or would there have to be some other difference?

tripredacus

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 09:25:38 am »
Yes, if the cover or media is different, it can get its own entry. As stated, if those games inside of that box have "Part of a Set" on them, then each would be titled GameTitle (Part of a Set).

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 01:34:16 am »
Yes, if the cover or media is different, it can get its own entry. As stated, if those games inside of that box have "Part of a Set" on them, then each would be titled GameTitle (Part of a Set).

For one of the above examples, would the correct title be 'Hitman: Blood Money (Part of a Set)' or 'Hitman: Blood Money (Part of Hitman Trilogy)'? Though the occurrence would be rare, the latter version would distinguish the set when the game in included in multiple different sets. In that example I used the database title for the set, though that could be an issue with longer set titles. That release of Guitar Hero III was included in the 'Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock - New Wireless Guitar [NA]' bundle. In situations like that, it may be more apt to abridge the set title (i.e. '(Part of Wireless Guitar bundle) ), but I would like an official stance on that before making any submissions.

tripredacus

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 09:56:25 am »
You use the text on the packaging. (Part of a Set) uses the exact words. You reference which set in the description not in the title.