Author Topic: Collections vs Original Copies  (Read 2480 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Collections vs Original Copies
« on: August 05, 2020, 12:11:38 pm »
When you get a collection, such as Mega Man Legacy Collection or Metal Slug Anthology; do you stop seeking out the original copies of those games? Or are you a completionist?

For me, if they are cheap, I'll likely still get the originals. Like the Sonic games for example. But for expensive ones, like the Mega Man series, I'll just stick with the collections.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 12:34:43 pm by burningdoom »

sworddude

Re: Collections vs Original Copies
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 12:20:32 pm »
If I have a shot at the originals for cheap or a very good price I'll go for it even if I already have the cheaper collection versions.

If it's a game that I have nostalgia for or really like allot, I'll just get the original at some point.

also speaking of modern megaman collections, if ps4 ps5 and ps6 all have a physical megaman collection wich naturally means microsoft and nintendo aswell, I'm not going to keep all megaman collections on current or past gen consoles. let alone on all 3 platforms. just 1 platoform of choice I'd say and the newest or last gen release.

Still if where talking metal slug, aside from the mvs options I'm fairly sure even the most hardcore collectors would think trice before ever purchasing them aes OG versions
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 05:56:58 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 01:22:43 pm »
If I got the same game in one of my collections I defiantly don't buy the original copies.  Especially something like Megaman, I am not even sure if you can save your progress on the original 6 NES versions. But I know I can turn down the difficulty on the PS2 collections I have.
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 02:42:27 pm »
Only if it's a game  that I really like.  Someday I wouldn't mind getting a boxed Mega Man X, but that's just for display, not to play, because otherwise I can just play the collection version on my Switch.

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 03:11:52 pm »
I find it hard to part with the originals. While I am thinking more PS2/PS3 to PS4 era I have many HD Compilations and remasters that I know I'm not going back too but still like to have - probably my worst collectors habbit :P

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 09:51:13 am »
I think I used to go for original too, but these days I try to minimize as much as I can.  So like I think I got one of the Sega collections that has Streets of Rage 3, I won't be trying to get SoR3 on Genesis now.

byron

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 10:20:09 pm »
This thread has reminded me that I didn't bother buying the Ninja Gaidens on NES because I had the Trilogy for SNES and I really should fix that because I'm not such a cheapo these days.

sworddude

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 07:35:48 am »
i'd personally have limits in what I really collect.

everything in wii or pre era I would go after if the games interest me.

Anything afterwards ps3 wiiu xbox 360 and up I would just go for the most optimal option on my console of choice with very few exceptions of games that I really like. especially if where talking remasters, collections of old games etc.

That's my barrier for seriously collecting.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 07:40:30 pm »
This thread has reminded me that I didn't bother buying the Ninja Gaidens on NES because I had the Trilogy for SNES and I really should fix that because I'm not such a cheapo these days.

Not trying to tell you what to do but, I'd say if you really want the same game twice go for it, but if you are looking to spend more money on a game, why not make it a new game? or something you never had tried to play before. :-\

I miss out on a lot of  retro PC games now a days , because I'm looking for something new to enjoy, I only play 3 games on my PC today. The rest of the games I play are for game consoles I never had the pleasure of enjoying until I got older,

there is other games in the Ninja Gaiden series, since you have 1,2 and 3 on the triligy why not pursue something for a more modern console.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 07:55:40 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 05:55:08 pm »

My opinion is, I have no problem buying a collection as long as it offers the same experience as the original. If I can get multiple classic games for one price, that’s great.

Now, in the case of Ninja Gaiden Trilogy....I would honestly recommend playing the NES originals. When I got NGT about 20 years ago, I was extremely disappointed with it. Sure, the graphics look better, but aside from that it’s just lazily done. IMO, it’s unforgivable how many graphical effects are missing, considering it’s on more powerful hardware.

byron

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2020, 03:33:35 pm »
I don't really care what it looks like, but the thing that irritates the crap outta me regarding Ninja Gaiden Trilogy is that it doesn't have any options for button mapping. It forces you to use B and A. Why? If you're not going to give me options, why wouldn't Y and B be the default setting? It's clearly better. What idiot would think B and A on a SNES pad is the correct way to play platformers?

mrkonasoni

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 04:50:27 pm »
Originals are better if you are a collector and you want the physical copies, but sometimes the collections could be better than the source because the high resolution, remastered sounds, extras like documents prior the release of the game and such, or the always helpful save states for people that never beat those games at the time.

If I can have both, I am fine with the idea.

Maybe I should mention that sometimes those collectiones include input lag and sound issues, if the issues are almost impossible to note for the average player, I have no problems at all.
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

astralsoul

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2020, 03:41:02 pm »
Depends on the franchise. For instance Mega Man I won't buy the individual copies except Mega Man X and X2 which I own hard copies of. I'm completely fine having the rest of the series' games in a collection on Switch. Any of my favorite franchises like Dark Souls, BioShock, Mario, Zelda...if they put them in a collection I'd still buy/keep all original copies.

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2020, 11:34:12 pm »
I like them all so if the legacy collection is cool, I will grab it. But that does not preclude me from buying the original copies anyway.

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2020, 12:51:44 am »
would love to see Mega Man Force, and Mega Man Network series collections.  Cause it be a wallet savior.
The Mind is The Slayer of Reality. --- LoS