Author Topic: Copying items from one region to another?  (Read 672 times)

Copying items from one region to another?
« on: March 05, 2021, 03:01:14 pm »
There are some complete (or mostly complete) EU items that could work as NA items.  Is there a way to copy/fork an entry from one country to another without having to totally rebuild it from the bottom-up?  Would probably help to reduce database sizes as well if the box/cartridge photo is identical.

aliensstudios

Re: Copying items from one region to another?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 10:53:06 pm »
In what case is the information ever identical? Most items between regions have different ratings, text, barcodes, artwork, item numbers and release dates. It's not really practical for our database where the purpose is to document all the different variations with all of the different artworks, item numbers etc.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

dhaabi

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 11:14:17 am »
A similar idea has been floated around recently, but only in terms of digital items. However, this idea was mostly aimed at merging already-existing entries. In regards to physical items, not much information is similar between regional variants. Apart from technical information such as item numbers and barcodes, even information as simple as the title and game publisher are often different from another.

Nevertheless, neither what you're asking nor what I'm bringing up is something that VGC is equipped to do at this time.

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 09:28:02 am »
In what case is the information ever identical? Most items between regions have different ratings, text, barcodes, artwork, item numbers and release dates. It's not really practical for our database where the purpose is to document all the different variations with all of the different artworks, item numbers etc.

https://vgcollect.com/item/35330 - DR Mario (NES).  Maybe it's just a miscat, as I'm not familiar with the EUR version.  The info lines up with the NA release, though.

There's an entry for CONTRA as well, but I just put in an edit to get its region changed.  I'm almost certain it was miscategorized as I believe the EUR version would have been called Probotector

telly

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 09:30:40 am »

https://vgcollect.com/item/35330 - DR Mario (NES).  Maybe it's just a miscat, as I'm not familiar with the EUR version.  The info lines up with the NA release, though.

There's an entry for CONTRA as well, but I just put in an edit to get its region changed.  I'm almost certain it was miscategorized as I believe the EUR version would have been called Probotector

The box art is different, the item numbers are different, and we already have a Dr. Mario NA release anyway.

Our NA category is probably the most complete out of all the regions.
Currently Playing:
Final Fantasy VI (SNESc), The Last Guardian (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 09:55:00 am »

That Contra entry was a dupe someone made and put into the wrong category. Merged with the US (round seal) entry.

In the future, you can report entries you feel have something wrong with them into the Listing Errors thread
https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,10555.0.html