Author Topic: The Console Modding, Repair, and Restoration Thread  (Read 828 times)

The Console Modding, Repair, and Restoration Thread
« on: July 26, 2021, 10:22:09 pm »
Thought it would be fun to start a thread where we can show off our console modding projects, as well as repairs and restorations we're working on. Also would be a nice thread to ask for help, suggestions, and recommendations from other VGcollect people who are into working on game consoles.

Re: The Console Modding, Repair, and Restoration Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 10:28:15 pm »
This was my first Genesis Triple Bypass mod project. This model 2 has been my regular workhorse Genesis for several years and thought it was high time to get the video and audio out of it it's truly capable of...with a little help. There was very little info on my exact MB revision (VA0), but luckily ifixretro did a decent livestream about a year ago where he installed the Triple Bypass in the same board revision so I piggy backed off his work mostly. Had to do a little research regarding various other parts of that mod, but ifixretro's vid was pretty useful. Worked the first time like a charm :)

I really hope the community puts together more comprehensive guides on the many MB revisions for all the Genesis models, but otherwise a fun mod with pretty cool results. Audio quality is definitely better over stock. I'd say video quality via SCART into an OCCS is probably 20% better than stock. Was hoping it would be a little more noticeable on the visuals side, but definitely not complaining.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 10:30:17 pm by bikingjahuty »

telekill

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 07:54:37 am »
Fantastic thread idea. Kudos  8)

While I haven't done any of the modding myself, my Game Gear has had a decent amount of fixing and a mod was done to while they were in there. I did some of the fixing as well but luckily, my work was minor. Oddly, it's only been my Game Gear that's been the focus of fixes and mods.

Mod:
 - 2014 - Tube lights replaced with LEDs

Fixes:
 - 2014 - Recapping both the audio and video. New glass screen.
 - 2018 - Replace motherboard entirely (old caps had finally ate through the board).
 - 2021 - D-pad and button membrane replacements (done by me for once)

Upgrade Accessories:
 - USB power plug. Cable ups the 5v from a USB port to the required 9v safely. Works great.
 - Everdrive X7 - I finally have my full GG collection.

Future Possibilities:
 - I'm considering the McWill (or something similar) screen mod but it's pricey.

mrkonasoni

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 08:53:46 am »
Sounds like a fun thread.

I tried to fix the disc drive for Xbox 360 but the out-come was just discover that someone put tape inside the board, it missed some bolts and the disc drive and the drum that spin the disc drive needs a replacement.

The PS3 was slighty repaired, it reads games better but it still need some adjustments I am not quite sure what would be, I don't care much because at least inserting the disc and lifting the console actually works first try or I just went full digital or I use it mostly for PSX games.

I couldn't open the broken NDS and GBA because someone at Nintendo loved the idea for use their own bolts, but not big deal I just need to order one from ebay.

I opened the PSP and, sincerely it was a disaster, it was almost completely damaged even the board had some damaged and it even the PSP menu don't work at all, I could be sad if it weren't because I got another one.

(Actually I just installed the PSP emulator on the phone, bought a wireless controller for android and called it a day, and it does run better... than my original PSP ever did...)
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

doafan

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 10:18:36 am »
Thought it would be fun to start a thread where we can show off our console modding projects

It will apply to those cases where some of us release the true power of the consoles ?

(Actually I just installed the PSP emulator on the phone, bought a wireless controller for android and called it a day, and it does run better... than my original PSP ever did...)

Holly cow can you please give me more details if it's possible, thanks in advance.

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

mrkonasoni

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 12:23:36 pm »
- Answering to @doafan

If you have android, I think you could just download the PSP emulator (PPSSPP) from the PlayStore and then the isos from your favorite roms website, the controller you could use the PS4 or Xbox, but I wanted one that could hold the cellphone while playing.

Pretty much just that and you are good.

I am planning to still collecting PSP games, though.
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

tpugmire

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 09:05:51 pm »
Stuff I’ve done:

Atari 800XL
Keyboard repair

Atari Lynx
Recap and other minor repairs

GameCube
Region mod

NES
Repair/replace 72 pin connector

Nintendo 64
Rumble pak mod to not use batteries

Philips CD-I
Timekeeper chip battery extraction and replacement

Sega Game Gear
Recap and other minor repairs

Super Nintendo
Region mod, fuse replacement, and LED color change

TurboExpress
Recap

TurboGrafx 16
Region mod and composite out mod

Probably some other stuff that I can’t remember at the moment.
I’ve also rebuilt many controllers for various systems.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 09:08:29 pm by tpugmire »
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2021, 11:27:26 pm »
This was a really fun project I did for a local gamer/collector. It's an N64digital HDMI kit installed in a Pikachu N64. The kit is so new that it was actually not compatible with the Pikachu models until very recently due to a spacing issue between the actual N64digital PCB and where the multi out sits. Luckily Laserbear Industries designed a 3D printed mount that allows it to fit into the Pikachu model. It was really fun testing the console out after the install was finished and makes me really want to get my hands on one once they become available again, supposedly in September. I mean, they're still N64 graphics which depending on your point of view can be either good or bad, but this mod certainly sharpens the image up considerably over anything I've ever seen. Oh, I also recapped it for him while I was inside so there should be plenty of life left in this beast now.

Warmsignal

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2021, 05:59:09 pm »
Just fixed one my OG Xbox consoles. When I when to play it, it was dead. Just like my other one. The clock battery issue is no joke. That's going to fuck up every single unit out there. I found that it had corroded away one of the traces along the bottom of the board. Had to jump it from one test point to the next. Probably the exact same issue my other unit is also having too.

Seems like in 2021, if the clock cap is not already removed/replaced, you'd be hard pressed to find a working system. Also, those DVD drives get so damned gummy. It's def not just the belt on this one. I wonder if just any IDE compatible DVD drive would work in it?

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2021, 12:51:35 am »
Just fixed one my OG Xbox consoles. When I when to play it, it was dead. Just like my other one. The clock battery issue is no joke. That's going to fuck up every single unit out there. I found that it had corroded away one of the traces along the bottom of the board. Had to jump it from one test point to the next. Probably the exact same issue my other unit is also having too.

Seems like in 2021, if the clock cap is not already removed/replaced, you'd be hard pressed to find a working system. Also, those DVD drives get so damned gummy. It's def not just the belt on this one. I wonder if just any IDE compatible DVD drive would work in it?

I have a literal stack of XBOXes I need to fix. One just needs the drive motor cleaned, but the others have several problems. I should probably do that soon since those things take up a ton of space!

megasilverx1

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2021, 10:37:59 pm »
Game Boy Color
Replaced the speaker
Replaced a fuse

WonderSwan
Replaced the polarizer film

Super Nintendo & Nintendo 64
Removed the plastic tabs by the cart slot to play Super Famicom games

PS One & Sega Genesis 2
Reflowed solder around area where the power jack plugs into to fix a short/no power issue

Sega CD 2
Replaced voltage regulator. Laser is still broken, but now powers on.

NES
Replaced 72 pin connector with Blinking Light Win, then with another regular 72 pin connector since the BLW stopped working.
Replaced power/reset buttons due to the previous power button having a short.

I have an Xbox and Game Gear I could fix, but I'm not very motivated to fix them. Both consoles have capacitor issues. Not too long ago I purchased a non functioning pink GB Pocket from Japan to try to fix it as a fun activity, but I couldn't find what was causing the handheld not to power on. Wasn't a total loss though since I swapped shells with my ugly metallic blue GB Pocket so I now have a nice pink GB Pocket and the screen and buttons on the non-functioning Pocket also work fine.

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2021, 01:37:03 pm »
Been doing a bunch of Xstation installs recently. Some are for other people, but many of them are in a bunch of broken PS1 consoles I picked up last fall for like $8 each. I've amassed a bunch more since then.