Author Topic: How to store your video games properly  (Read 1436 times)

brothertuc

How to store your video games properly
« on: June 22, 2022, 05:45:44 am »
I know this has been discussed a lot, but I've read somewhere that you shouldn't store your, say, PS2 cases "too tight" on the shelves, leave a little "air" so to speak between boxes, as they might get too pressed and break. Any truth to that?

I have my PS2 games in a bookshelf, and I make sure they don't stand too compressed on each shelf. However, there would be room for a few more games if I pressed them in on each shelf...

gummo

Re: How to store your video games properly
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 06:00:58 am »
I don’t know if PS2 is any different than any other cases, but my rule is to keep my games snug at the worst , never tight . If you can pull a single game out without pulling out others with it, it’s probably okay. I know some DVD cases were made out of flimsy brittle plastic and even those do fine snug on a shelf.

brothertuc

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 06:11:12 am »
I don’t know if PS2 is any different than any other cases, but my rule is to keep my games snug at the worst , never tight . If you can pull a single game out without pulling out others with it, it’s probably okay. I know some DVD cases were made out of flimsy brittle plastic and even those do fine snug on a shelf.

Yeah, that's what I'm going for... pulling out one game, without any others.
Currently I have 50 games pr shelf, and I like that even number :p
But I can fit in one more game, but then they'll just be tight and when I pull out a game, one or two more follows.

gummo

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2022, 12:15:08 pm »
Certainly the number of cases per shelf is very important to the equation . The more cases you have on a shelf , the easier is to get them in too tight so keep that in mind too .

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 03:01:36 am »
Yeah I never keep my games too tightly packed on a shelf. If you do, over time you will scuff the outer plastic on the case, causing it lose that shiny fresh out the shrink wrap feeling, you know what I mean. I always allow for just enough wiggle room between each so to say, but never too lose where there not standing up nicely. I also never stack games vertically if I can avoid it, as this is the easiest way to put dents into your case artwork.

gummo

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 03:32:28 am »
Yeah I never keep my games too tightly packed on a shelf. If you do, over time you will scuff the outer plastic on the case, causing it lose that shiny fresh out the shrink wrap feeling, you know what I mean. I always allow for just enough wiggle room between each so to say, but never too lose where there not standing up nicely. I also never stack games vertically if I can avoid it, as this is the easiest way to put dents into your case artwork.
Have you ever considered using protective sleeves ? I bought some DVD sized and Blu-Ray sized . Haven’t started putting my games in them yet. I also got some assorted sizes for the different manuals as well . It’s crazy how much money some of the manuals are worth on their own just to have them clipped inside unprotected bugs me. Especially Genesis and SMS manuals, they’re always in rough shape and fall out when you open the case half the time.

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2022, 04:58:04 am »
Have you ever considered using protective sleeves ? I bought some DVD sized and Blu-Ray sized . Haven’t started putting my games in them yet. I also got some assorted sizes for the different manuals as well . It’s crazy how much money some of the manuals are worth on their own just to have them clipped inside unprotected bugs me. Especially Genesis and SMS manuals, they’re always in rough shape and fall out when you open the case half the time.

I actually do have protective bags for my games, but haven't started bagging them up yet. I will probably bag up all my sealed games to keep the seal from becoming torn, and possibly my CIB expensive games as well, just to keep my friends grubby paws off :). I really don't care for the look of bagged games on my shelf, but will make the exception for sealed games.

As for the manuals issue, trust me I'm right there with you on that. I've started bagging up my manuals for my CIB N64/SNES games. The N64 manuals are especially prone to damage every time you try and take the game out, just because of the way the inner trays are designed inside some N64 boxes. I should probably make a video on that one day to show how I store the books once all bagged up.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 04:59:35 am by retromangia »

gummo

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2022, 06:04:39 am »

I actually do have protective bags for my games, but haven't started bagging them up yet. I will probably bag up all my sealed games to keep the seal from becoming torn, and possibly my CIB expensive games as well, just to keep my friends grubby paws off :). I really don't care for the look of bagged games on my shelf, but will make the exception for sealed games.

As for the manuals issue, trust me I'm right there with you on that. I've started bagging up my manuals for my CIB N64/SNES games. The N64 manuals are especially prone to damage every time you try and take the game out, just because of the way the inner trays are designed inside some N64 boxes. I should probably make a video on that one day to show how I store the books once all bagged up.
Nice, I thought maybe I was the only one . I started getting into the habit when I started buying steelbooks. Those get scuffed up so easily. You’re right , it looks kind of sloppy on the shelf.

brothertuc

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2022, 04:08:57 pm »

I use protective plastic cases, but for now only for my Gamecube and PS1 games.
Will eventually extend to all my other games.

sworddude

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2022, 08:35:32 pm »
Sleeves for manuals definitely recommended, considering packaging wasn't that great back in the day easy to damage

but for ps2 era and up it's overkill and not needed. ps1 dreamcast are the final era that would need them. unless your living in the us where ps1 and dreamcast manuals are your cover.

Plastic cases for dvd cases are overkill imo, same for plastic cases such as ps1 dreamcast etc unless they are sealed. just makes it harder to use them, plus when stored normally it ain't going to get scuffed. if they are factory sealed than sure but otherwise it's not worth imo, doesn't look great either for these dvd/plastic case games.

even if the trays where excellent N64 snes, nes manuals are brittle. this ain't anything like ps2 gamecube and modern era manuals. These ain't sturdy they'll wear down over time.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

brothertuc

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2022, 05:28:31 pm »
Sleeves for manuals definitely recommended, considering packaging wasn't that great back in the day easy to damage

but for ps2 era and up it's overkill and not needed. ps1 dreamcast are the final era that would need them. unless your living in the us where ps1 and dreamcast manuals are your cover.

Plastic cases for dvd cases are overkill imo, same for plastic cases such as ps1 dreamcast etc unless they are sealed. just makes it harder to use them, plus when stored normally it ain't going to get scuffed. if they are factory sealed than sure but otherwise it's not worth imo, doesn't look great either for these dvd/plastic case games.

even if the trays where excellent N64 snes, nes manuals are brittle. this ain't anything like ps2 gamecube and modern era manuals. These ain't sturdy they'll wear down over time.

Games looks just fine to me in the protective plastic cases.
The plastic on the DVD's and PS1 are fragile anyway, and I prefer it this way.
But each to their own :)

sworddude

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2022, 06:11:09 pm »

Games looks just fine to me in the protective plastic cases.
The plastic on the DVD's and PS1 are fragile anyway, and I prefer it this way.
But each to their own :)

In terms of looks to each their own indeed. 

ps1 cases are fragile but a plastic case doesn't really protect against that I'd say. if it falls they break, wether they are in a plastic case or not or if they break by using them. potential shelfware is the only protection you'll get from them but in practice when you store your games nicely with plenty of space that they aren't squished together it's going to be minisule in terms of shelfware if any. this ain't cardboard in which almost anything will damage it. dvd and ps1 cases are pretty durable in that deparment, moreover if the worst is to come quite easy to replace unlike cardboard. the art work is the only thing that really matters.

My clean sleeves still look real shiny because it's stored decently plus the fact that most ps1 games will have some shelfware on the cases when you get them. and that's already nice condition when they don't have any cracks etc.

imo it's only potentially usefull on games that came right out of the seal or the difference won't really be noticable. unless you really handle your games poorly. and even with those when stored properly it will pretty much remain identical. for ps2 you could find some mint sleeves, but for ps1 that's going to be allot harder. heck if there ain't any cracks and it doesn't have allot of shelfwear your already at the top end of ps1 plastic cases. and anything below mint is going to have miniscule differences in terms of shelfwear protection.

keeps the dust away so that's a plus I'll give ye that one. my 2 cents on plastic sleeves on dvd era or ps1 cases.

plastic cases are nice on dvd era cases when you sell stuff at a boot or something, when allot of people handle them games you can get some ugly results even if all customers would handle it decently, but in terms of home usage I wouldn't worry about that.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 06:20:04 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!