Author Topic: Buying games for a system you don't own  (Read 1440 times)

brothertuc

Buying games for a system you don't own
« on: January 30, 2023, 03:45:03 pm »
I was just wondering if some of you (perhaps the hardcore collectors) have ever bought games for a system/console you didn't own at the time, or maybe still don't own? I, myself, do own a few Wii U games despite not owning a Wii U system.

So I just thought it'd be fun to hear or see if I was not the only one.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

Re: Buying games for a system you don't own
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 05:03:45 pm »
I did own one ps5 game for almost a year before I got my ps5 but usually I don't collect for a system I don't have.

telekill

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 05:47:07 pm »
I bought an original copy of Shenmue for Dreamcast a year or two ago and don't have a Dreamcast. Same with the NES Ninja Turtles. Both are complete copies and they were purchased to go on my wall of fame for display in the shadowboxes I made. A bit different I suppose.

brothertuc

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 06:01:18 pm »
I bought an original copy of Shenmue for Dreamcast a year or two ago and don't have a Dreamcast. Same with the NES Ninja Turtles. Both are complete copies and they were purchased to go on my wall of fame for display in the shadowboxes I made. A bit different I suppose.

That's cool though...
I like that :)

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 06:22:59 pm »
Not often, but it does happen.

I bought several PS3 games (Black Friday deals) before getting my PS3. I had every intention of getting the console though.

My bother bought me "The Thing" for Xbox in 2001 or so as a gift. I found an Xbox a few years ago for 20 bucks, so it was probably 15 years before I got the console. Still in my backlog...in hindsight I should have kept it sealed, lol

I currently have 8 PS5 games, despite not owning a PS5. All sealed. Still undecided on the PS5. They are in stock now but I don't see any reason to drop 600 bucks after tax on one...nothing screams "play me!". Hoping for a cheaper "slim" model in a year or two.

I have 24 Wii games, but no Wii. I do have a Wii U and the accessories needed to play them all though.

I have 7 PS2 games, though I've never owned, or plan to own, a PS2. 4 are sealed.

Edit:
I have 3 switch games, all sealed. No plan to get a switch, but I may someday (I hate the joycons though).

I have 1 PSP and 4 vita games, all sealed. Don't own either system, but wouldn't mind owning them.

So I don't go out of my way, but if I see a great deal I'll pick up something for a console I don't own.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 06:28:27 pm by wolff242 »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 06:36:31 pm »
Not unless it came in a bundle with other games or something. And even then I'll turn around and sell it.

I collect too much other stuff, too, to be wasting money on something I can't use.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 08:14:15 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2023, 06:37:24 pm »
Bought some OG Xbox games before actually owning an Xbox (as I planned on getting said Xbox soon anyway).

shfan

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2023, 07:30:00 pm »
This is standard practice for collectors who are going for big, multi-system collections or for anyone who's not at the point of investing in a new system but don't want games at that pricepoint/condition/release. I used to do it all the time, but my habits have changed and I've downsized.

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2023, 08:01:33 pm »
I have Final Fantasy for NES despite not having had a working NES in almost 30 years. It's meant to be a display piece though. I also collect Game Boy games without owning a Game Boy, though in that case I do have other means to play them via the Super Game Boy adaptor for SNES or the Game Cube Game Boy Player.

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2023, 08:08:35 pm »
Occasionally, but not very often.  I've sold most of them i think, but I've still got some Game Gear games.

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2023, 10:29:49 pm »
In my earlier years of collecting when I pretty much collected almost anything and everything I could get for a good deal, I accumulated a pretty healthy Sega CD collection even though I wouldn't end up getting one for another 2 years or so. More recently, I've bought around 5 XBOX One games with the intent of getting one someday. Oh, and another console i used to have a respectable collection for despite not having the means to play them is the Neo Geo Pocket Color. I came across a bunch of the games for dirt cheap and decided to buy them with the intent of getting the handheld someday. Unfortunately that never happened so I told the whole collection a couple years ago.

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2023, 12:23:03 am »
At one point I had about 50 Xbox 360 games before I had a 360.

Main reason for that though was because one of my friends had gotten one, but needed to hide it from his mom who was in a "video games will ruin your life!" phase. So, he hid it at my place, which I really had no problem with. And since I had easy access to a 360, I figured I might as well get some games for it. Also around that time, I had gotten a job for the first time, and with unfettered access to disposable income, I went a little overboard with purchasing games and the collection exploded.

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2023, 03:38:07 am »
I tend to do this with Switch RPG's if they hit a good deal. Problem with Nintendo is you never can tell how they'll fluctuate in price and depending on how their next system goes & if it is backwards compatible with Switch games I could potential get theit next system/uprgrade. But it is mostly due to the fear of their prices gettign silly in time really - The Wolrd End With You has gone up to £60+ & I got it for under £20.

Even games which you would expect to be available in large quantity seem to remain high in price. The one time this has backfired is when I paid £50+ for the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 DLC cart, then months later around the release of XC3 it seemed to be available again at £20-30! That's the only case I have seen of a Switch games stock resruface and drop like that though.

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2023, 08:09:11 am »
I actually DO collect games for systems I don't own, but only if I'm able to play them on different generations of consoles. E.g. Playstation-Games ... I do not own a PSone, but as long as I can play them on my PS2, there's still reason for me to collect them. Same w. GameCube-Games ... don't own a Cube, but a Wii ... so ... all in all YES .D
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US !!
WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM !!

tripredacus

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2023, 09:11:14 am »
I had bought games for systems I didn't own even before I collected video games. Virtua Fighter on the Game.com is one example that I can remember. I also remember buying a Gundam game for PS2 before I got a PS2. By the time I did get a PS2, I didn't like the game.

Recently I had a revelation after watching Macaw45 that you don't even need to play the games on the correct hardware if emulation is available. I had already started going about that route last year. When I play SoTN for the 52 games challenge, I played it using Retroarch.