Author Topic: Discussion about PS2 [NL][DE][FR][IT] and [NL][FR] and proposals  (Read 1088 times)

Discussion about PS2 [NL][DE][FR][IT] and [NL][FR] and proposals
« on: November 26, 2023, 03:27:16 pm »
Hello everybody,

I would like to discuss with everybody about the tagging of PS2 games with languages [NL][DE][FR][IT] and [NL][FR] after the reffusal of certain of my edits
and the modifying the entries I added, for example: https://vgcollect.com/item/257425 for example

On pages:
https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,22.0.html
https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,10837.msg179397.html#msg179397

you can find the folowing information:

Examples: 18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker has five regional releases within Europe on the PS2.

Released in England or general English EU release does not require a TLD: 18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker
    Released in Germany: 18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker [DE]
    Released in Spain: 18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker [ES]
    Released in France and Netherlands: 18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker [FR][NL]
    Released in Italy: 18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker [IT]

and

- [FR][NL]: In most instances, these items are either [NL] or [BE][NL] and not released in France.
- [DE][FR][IT][NL]: France, Germany and Italy media requirements typically rule out this scenario. These are usually [NL] or just [EU] releases.

I find this information contradictory.

For info:
In Belgium, they speak French and Dutch (Flemish).
In Switzerland we speak 4 languages: French, German, Italian and Romansh, but there are no games in Romansh.

Problem:

All my [NL][DE][FR][IT] come from Switzerland and I really don't want to tag them [NL] because it's simply not true.

Proposal:

[FR][NL] always tagged as [BE][NL] (or just [BE] if there is specific [NL] game)

and

[NL][DE][FR][IT] always tagged as [BE][CH] (or something to be discussed, but not [NL])

Thank you for your feedback and for the cordial discussions in the future,

TT
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 03:31:43 pm by thetime »

Re: Discussion about PS2 [NL][DE][FR][IT] and [NL][FR] and proposals
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2023, 04:12:22 pm »
[EU] would be my suggestion for this proposel, [EU] usually means "Europe" region on PAL region video games at least the last time I checked. but I am not an expert so wait for one of the market Admins or the Database admin to say something please
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

dhaabi

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2023, 04:19:20 pm »
First, it is important to recognize that entry name TLD information is not determined by box language text but instead serve as an indicator as to what the item's country of origin is. Sometimes, box language text can be indicative of country of origin, but in many instances it is not.

Problem:

All my [NL][DE][FR][IT] come from Switzerland and I really don't want to tag them [NL] because it's simply not true.

In the instance of 257425 which you mentioned, they are from NL, and it was one of the original TLDs provided to the entry. However, just because [NL] is the only TLD currently mentioned should not imply that it was only originally sold there. I quickly made the change because I confirmed that item to not be from DE, IT, and FR which were TLDs previously provided.

After a quick search, 257425 also seems to be from BE and from CH (1, 2, 3). So, the entry could name be updated to MotoGP 3 [BE][CH][NL].

Likewise, here are the region-specific items for the remaining countries listed above: DE, FR, and IT.

Proposal:

[FR][NL] always tagged as [BE][NL] (or just [BE] if there is specific [NL] game)

and

[NL][DE][FR][IT] always tagged as [BE][CH] (or something to be discussed, but not [NL])

Never should there be "always" rules for any of our fields, because there will always be an exception. Like you outlined in your Problem section, if your items are being sourced from CH, then they very well may not have also been released in NL, or even BE. However, it is also worth noting that, for many modern releases, region-specific items originally sold in CH are often also sold in AT and sometimes even DE.

[EU] would be my suggestion for this proposel, [EU] usually means "Europe" region on PAL region video games at least the last time I checked. but I am not an expert

[EU] should never be used in a category that is already marked as [EU]. The category is question is PlayStation 2 [EU], so an EU TLD tag is redundant. The same goes for any of the major regional category types.

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2023, 04:23:48 pm »
language is important yes but a ton of PAL region or whatever they are called in Europe, from what I understand are like/similar to US games in that they come with a language setting in the options panel or setup panel of the game, or maybe that is only sports games, I am not sure, but I'd thought I post this here anyway :-\
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2023, 04:36:05 pm »
For the item specifically, since it has a label which appears to be country specific - would it be best to have a separate listing? (Translated it appears to state "intended for exclusive sale in Switzerland only")

dhaabi

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2023, 04:50:17 pm »
For the item specifically, since it has a label which appears to be country specific - would it be best to have a separate listing? (Translated it appears to state "intended for exclusive sale in Switzerland only")

I overlooked the two examples with labels that I mentioned above. Since the label isn't a part of the original entry front art, it should be assumed it was either never present on thetime's copy or was but not to their knowledge. It seems to be an official label evident by two separate copies being found with it, but it's difficult with the information we have to determine if all copies have it or only copies specific to CH, with the latter making more sense. We'd have to observe sealed copies from BE and NL to gather more information about it, but I feel confident saying there could be two entries: one for AT, and the other for BE/NL. This isn't to say that another entry needs to now be submitted, though, unless some further information is gathered.

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2023, 10:01:18 am »
- [FR][NL]: In most instances, these items are either [NL] or [BE][NL] and not released in France.
- [DE][FR][IT][NL]: France, Germany and Italy media requirements typically rule out this scenario. These are usually [NL] or just [EU] releases.

I find this information contradictory.

For info:
In Belgium, they speak French and Dutch (Flemish).
In Switzerland we speak 4 languages: French, German, Italian and Romansh, but there are no games in Romansh.

TLD is for country and not for language. The information in the guide are examples only and are not meant to be definitive. We would only provide information like that in a platform-specific ID guide thread. Currently there is none for PS2 and the Adv Guide is general use information.