Author Topic: Imports you wish got localized  (Read 2311 times)

Imports you wish got localized
« on: September 23, 2018, 12:20:59 am »
For practically as long as there has been video games, there's been certain ones that don't make it to your region.  While some European ones have a slightly better chance of being playable even without being localized, alot of the time still being in English, Japanese ones end up being a lot more complicated due to the language barrier.  They can still technically be playable, but good luck with menus and story.  So what are a some games you wish would get the localization treatment? I know Mother 3 is a longtime Nintendo fan desire to see that get officially re-released with a proper translation. 

For me? While I know it's probably not a particularly great game and is quite recent, but I would love to get City Shrouded in Shadow.  Do you want to feel like you are in a movie with giant robots and monsters? That's basically what this game is.  I've seen gameplay and it's abit low quality, but it has giant beings like Ultraman, Eva Unit 01, Godzilla, and a bunch of others from those franchises terrorizing or at least trying to save the city while you simply try not to die.  The concept is incredible to me, even if it's not that great of game.  Plus I'm just a Godzilla nut and want a game where I'm having to run away from him and I think like Mothra and Mecha-Godzilla lol

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Imports you wish got localized
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 12:36:05 am »

Yeah, Game Boy is region-free, but I imagine this game wouldn't be so damn expensive if it had a U.S. release.

Loved the NES game.

wolfen

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 12:48:32 am »
Doshin the Giant for the Gamecube first interested me when I saw the the trophy in Super Smash Bros. Melee as a kid. It doesn't seem very long or complicated, but still interesting nonetheless.

azure

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 12:53:00 am »

If I had to pick one it would definitely be the original Devil Summoner. Apprently Atlus was even planning to bring it over back in the day going off some magazine articles.

Honorable mentions are Policenauts/Mother 3, either could have also been my pick if the fan translations weren't so well done.

stealthrush

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 03:23:38 am »
Linda Cube³

Translated for either pc engine cd, saturn, or playstation at this point. A few others; Kuusou Kagaku Sekai Gulliver Boy, Terra Phantastica, Wachenröder, Seiya Monogatari.

kashell

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 08:15:41 am »

sworddude

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 08:28:35 am »
The fire emblem games of the gba snes and nes wich are japan exclusive.

Sure they all got fan translates and are easy to emulate but it would have been pretty cool to imagine those having english physical releases as a collector. also the spinoffs wich are very simular of these series wich were released on the ps2 console.

The older medarot series of the gb and gbc would have also been interesting to be localised. That being said we were fortunate enough that we at the very least got the best medarot games in the entire series on the gba as the rokusho and metabee rpg adventures thanks to the anime being at least pretty known at that particular time in the west if I had to guess since aside from the mediocre  gamecube game future games were never released outside of japan of these series.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 08:42:24 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

kevininja

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 09:55:06 am »
I wish Yakuza Kenzan and Yakuza Ishin got localized.

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 11:33:18 am »

The following were released digitally in US Speaking markets, but sadly they were never released physically:

Then there are these that were never released outside Japan:

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 11:38:35 am by bikingjahuty »

Agozer

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 11:35:41 am »
From what I have heard (just rumors at this point, mind you), Sega is toying with the idea of localizing the Yakuza Ishin games for the west. Thank the success of Yakuza 0 and Kiwami for that.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2018, 12:37:09 pm »
Start those good famicom games!

Kid Dracula is my #1.  We got it for the GameBoy, but it wasn't the same.  It's my favorite Famicom game that I've found. 
Mr. Gimmik should have made it here.  That thing is crazy expensive \and I'd love to play it.
Some others might be Goonies, Wai Wai World 1&2

sworddude

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2018, 01:43:11 pm »
Start those good famicom games!

Kid Dracula is my #1.  We got it for the GameBoy, but it wasn't the same.  It's my favorite Famicom game that I've found. 
Mr. Gimmik should have made it here.  That thing is crazy expensive \and I'd love to play it.
Some others might be Goonies, Wai Wai World 1&2

If the games are already expensive in Japan let's just imagine it having a USA release, What's keeping it from being rare and expensive as well. That's what probably would have happened if it had a usa release as far as mr gimmick goes. i also can't imagine kid dracula nes being to cheap either seeing the prices of the cib kid dracula for gameboy.

Gameplay wise language has little impact aside from some small things so it would basicly be just as hard to get if not harder with some bad luck.

The only real advantage is a proper physical release but I highly doubt it would have been any easier to get seeing it's history.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 01:49:43 pm by sworddude »

aliensstudios

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2018, 02:12:52 pm »
Doshin the Giant for the Gamecube first interested me when I saw the the trophy in Super Smash Bros. Melee as a kid. It doesn't seem very long or complicated, but still interesting nonetheless.

Funnily enough I just picked the English version of this up and have been playing it piecemeal using my Action Replay disc. It's actually a pretty good game. It seems to lack the polish of other first-party Nintendo games of the day but still worth trying if you have the means. Even the English version isn't too costly, I think my copy was won in auction for 13 bucks or so.

My pick for an import I wish got localized is:

But part of me knows that if it did indeed get an official translation, it likely wouldn't hold up to the fan-translation of the it.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2018, 05:36:20 pm »
Mother 3, Doshin the giant, The majority of Skip Ltd's Games, Pulse man, etc. Im too lazy to post them all here.

sworddude

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2018, 06:10:38 pm »
Doshin the giant is not expensive really. not to mention that I'm pretty sure that all discs except for the japanese version are english so if you want to get the cheapest price, spanish german or italian boxed copies are the way to go.

These days it's a 20 - 30 ish dollars for an english boxed copy excluding shipping.

I guess shipping can be a bit pricy compared to the value of the game wich is the main problem for most, it is the main reason why I pretty much never buy from other countries unless it's a bigger deal or really worth it, not to mention import costs if you go even further down the line. There are many cheap import games but if the shipping is more than 50% than the value of the game it just does something to the mind at least in my opinion.

There are however some guys who offer real cheap shipping or even free shipping worldwide with games. I find it really hard to believe that they are making a good deal by doing so even if they have a special shipping discount. Probably a strategy to lure people in to buy more at once since otherwise It's probably a loss especially with cheaper items in wich the shipping probably costs more than the price paid  ::)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 07:04:08 pm by sworddude »