Author Topic: SNES 101 , SNES 2 WONT TURN ON  (Read 1758 times)

SNES 101 , SNES 2 WONT TURN ON
« on: January 18, 2019, 03:43:34 pm »

i have a SNES 101 ,it wont turn on i check the DC power adapter and shows about 14.5 v , i found another similar for NES/SNES and give me 9.4 v SO I THINK i can use that, then i check continuity on dc jack on SNES and on the solder it receives  THE 9.4 v but then i dont know where to continue verifying.

On classics the pico fuse its the common problem but with this i dunno where the fuse is, well i believe its the white dot next to a voltage regulator (17805).

And besides that what else to check. .

Any ideas , info would be soooo much apreciated.

shadowzero

PRO Supporter

Re: SNES 101 , SNES 2 WONT TURN ON
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 12:06:49 pm »
Thats the SNES Mini Model right?  There are a few things that can and will happen BUT 99% of the time its the power cord. SNES uses a center negative pin and the output is rated for 10v 850ma.  Cheapy aftermarket ones made by the lowest bidder tend to fail, not work, and/or send dirty signal.  I read that there is a little plastic piece where the AC plugs that can be broken and the two metal pins are widened so that there is no electrical contact/connection made with the male input plug.  SNES fuses are soldered inside the case on the motherboard.  So if you are not skilled at soldering send to a repair shop.  I for one am terrible at soldering.

But I would also try these things too:  1.)  Clean out your AC port on the back.  Canned air, electronics cleaner spray.  2.) Make sure the power button actually works.  I've seen those fail and get stuck on!

In the end the best diagnosis you can do is test with a known good power cord and SNES. Because of things like this I have accumulated many spare cords and consoles.  Which, in the long run, can make it easy to score systems sold cheaply with no cords.  :P

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 06:44:53 pm »
Ok, yep its the OLD mini, SNES2 , SNES 101 or New-Style Super NES.

I have two AC ADAPTERS

the original Output 10v 850 mA   =Multimeter value 14.4v

generic for SNES/NES Output 9v 850mA =Multimeter value 9.4v

i attached an image on red circle its the dc jack pins i got the same voltage that comes out of the dc adapter if i have the console OFF i f i turn on its downs like 2 vlts

on the green circle its the ON/OFF Switch .   In OFF position i got all the voltage form the DC ADAPTER.  In ON position got .038v

https://imgur.com/a/BG801t0
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 07:42:40 pm by dhadz »

shadowzero

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 10:47:18 pm »
I wish I had one hands on.  So the fuse is located just below the DC jack and if you've got power at the switch then the fuse should be fine.  The next place I would check (and you prob have already) is the capacitors and the cart slot.  As crazy as it may sound how do you know its not powered on and not an audio/video output issue?

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 12:54:02 pm »
Thats what i thought but check and when i turn on the SNES on the channel on blue should change so the TV knows something it´s connected , but nothing changed.

An you know why , this thing start to work suddenly well not that suddenly i checked most of the components to see continuity and in the voltage regulator accidentally make a little short and then check but seems fine the VR after that i make a test and the SNES turn on , and everything works like it should , testes with Yoshis Island.

shadowzero

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 01:18:10 pm »
Maybe, but if you dig around on forums about what to avoid when buying SNES you'll see the black screen of death over and over again.  I have a SNES model one with a bad chip somewhere causing a solid black screen.  Some of the SNES model 1 have a separate SHVC sound board that if bad will create a black screen.  On those one could try loading an Everdrive SD cart and it would work until a ROM is loaded.  Thats just food for thought.  What if you do have power and just improper video output?  There is an LED add-on mod I'm going to research to see if some of that info could help here.